Super Contributor

The worst offenders are Carolyn and Shawn.  Just try listening to the Ums and UHs of Carolyn's for 5 minutes.

Honored Contributor

I'm really surprised that the "Um" users haven't been coached by their producer or whomever.  It's very unprofessional.  I, too, change the channel when the "ums" begin.  I can't recall any of the hsn hosts using "um", but maybe I just haven't noticed.

Trusted Contributor

@carol in NC wrote:

Ok, after a post about using filler words (which I can't find right now) I decided to play Toastmasters "um counter" during a one hour IT presentation with Jamie. In 23 minutes, she used "um" as a filler word 73 times. I stopped counting because it was driving me nuts and I had to get to sleep.

@AussieLuvr,

Um ... well, that is definitely Jamie's "word whisker" or "filler" and it is for many others.

Toastmasters?  Of what benifit did Jamie receive from your observation?

I, personally would not have wasted my time counting ...  I have far too many things to do ...

Like now, so I am signing out.

Enjoy your day.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, i  agree !!! It drives me crazy also, they are on tv, why doesn't QVC stop them ? Maybe they should be made to sit down and watch a one hour show of themselves. I stopped watching Jamie because of that. I remember LR used to do that also.  They can always stop speaking for a few seconds, silence is better then Um.

Valued Contributor

@carol in NC wrote:

Ok, after a post about using filler words (which I can't find right now) I decided to play Toastmasters "um counter" during a one hour IT presentation with Jamie. In 23 minutes, she used "um" as a filler word 73 times. I stopped counting because it was driving me nuts and I had to get to sleep.

You are totally right. It is annoying and unprofessional to keep using filler words, especially if your job is to give a presentation. I wonder is some of the hosts/vendors ever go back and watch themselves on video. That's a great way to see how you REALLY are presenting yourself. Just heard a newscaster (national news) today start what she was saying with: so, I mean, um...then she acutally started getting to the point.

What's up with the other posters who find it necessary to critique what others have to say...such as, you must have OCD (no, you are just observant) or why spend your time counting what someone says (because it definitely detracts from the presentation).

Respected Contributor

When I was probably in the eighth grade, I remember having to do public speaking.  While practicing at home, my older sister told me that I was saying, "Um", too much.  I didn't even realize it until she pointed it out and I quickly corrected it.  They may not realize they're doing it, but I'd think someone would have pointed it out by now. 

Honored Contributor

@IlliniGirl88. Hosts over-using "ums" have been mentioned countless times on these forums.  I can't believe no one has felt the need to correct the habit.

Respected Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

@IlliniGirl88. Hosts over-using "ums" have been mentioned countless times on these forums.  I can't believe no one has felt the need to correct the habit.

@Krimpette-  I agree!

Super Contributor

Ever heard of Toastmasters? It's an international organization that enables people to hone their public speaking skills. There is always an Um Counter who counts filler words to bring the speaker's attention to it. M not OCD. I'm an area officer in the organization. If Loudon care, why comment at all? That was a rhetorical question. No need to respond.

Super Contributor

I've noticed that she emulates Jamie's speech intonation, too!

There is someone who does Susan Graver clothes in the middle of the night who sounds like they're imitating SG. It's crazy.