Super Contributor

Ok, after a post about using filler words (which I can't find right now) I decided to play Toastmasters "um counter" during a one hour IT presentation with Jamie. In 23 minutes, she used "um" as a filler word 73 times. I stopped counting because it was driving me nuts and I had to get to sleep.

Esteemed Contributor
Um . . .Congratulations ?
Trusted Contributor

She and Kerstin both use 'um" to an excess.  Drives me to change the channel.

Respected Contributor

Mary is now, she uses it excessively!! I had to turn her off. There are several hosts who use it, to the point I can't watch them. Mary, Carolyn, Leah, are all offenders.

Respected Contributor

@carol in NC wrote:

Ok, after a post about using filler words (which I can't find right now) I decided to play Toastmasters "um counter" during a one hour IT presentation with Jamie. In 23 minutes, she used "um" as a filler word 73 times. I stopped counting because it was driving me nuts and I had to get to sleep.

Wow and yes, it seems as if it's on purpose. The female that substitutes for her in presentations who also models for her, the one with blonde short hair, does the same, with the same kind of rhythm....so weird and super annoying. Why they have not learned this lesson, boggles my mind.

Honored Contributor

Um! Being so bothered by the use of a filler word to the extent that anyone would keep count is bizarre and a bit OCD!

Esteemed Contributor

Um........okay.

Esteemed Contributor

I like some of IT's products! But she has been presenting these things for several years now. There is no excuse for saying um at all! I think every one of us can get up there and present the talking points about each product.

It must be a selling technique, that they think it's cute or something, like the product is so fabulous that they are grasping for superlatives! 

It is quite annoying to me, too.

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

Um! Being so bothered by the use of a filler word to the extent that anyone would keep count is bizarre and a bit OCD!

Depends on how often it's used and by whom....  with my friend who uses "and stuff" after every declarative statement, I wouldn't say anything to her  but it's very noticable.  I mean, why make a deal out of it?  ......  With a professional who talks for a living, the over use of fillers can be a nuisance to the listener, who are potential buyers.  You WANT them to stay involved in the presentation and sometimes too many fillers just bother and/or bore the audience. 

We have a potential customer (the OP) who is not paying attention to the presentation, rather she is counting the filler words.....  if I were one of the ptb, I'd make sure some of these speech habits were changed for the better.....  because I believe potential sales are affected.  But I don't believe Speech classes of any kind are offered to the hosts.....   JMHO Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Frequent Contributor

It can be done!   Watched the host one late night (McGee), and she didn't say "um" once.  So darn refreshing to listen to someone who doesn't use those filler words.  Also, count the number of times Jamie from IT uses the word "literally".  Don't they watch their presentations or have any family/friends who would call them out on their misuse and overuse of certain words/phrases?