Valued Contributor

They started with Christmas in July and never stopped. I am so extremely sick of it and have really stoped watching. There have been Christmas sets since July also. I check out the special shows that are not Christmas and take a look at the programming but just see gifts gifts gifts. Blech. My family has mostly stoped giving gifts because of the commerialism that has happened and QVC is a prime example of the corruption. They are ruining a beatufiul time of year by trying to capitalize on the gift buying. It must work though or I think they wouldn't do it, which is even sadder. 

Honored Contributor

Agree.  The true meaning of Christmas has been lost.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are some people who don't even know what we're celebrating.

Respected Contributor

@Whosits wrote:

They started with Christmas in July and never stopped. I am so extremely sick of it and have really stoped watching. There have been Christmas sets since July also. I check out the special shows that are not Christmas and take a look at the programming but just see gifts gifts gifts. Blech. My family has mostly stoped giving gifts because of the commerialism that has happened and QVC is a prime example of the corruption. They are ruining a beatufiul time of year by trying to capitalize on the gift buying. It must work though or I think they wouldn't do it, which is even sadder. 

You are right @Whosits - It does work.  That's why they keep doing it.  I agree that's it's way too much but some people like it and they buy.  That's what QVC is all about, buy, buy, buy.  It's not going to change.

Honored Contributor

Being Jewish, I still need to weigh in on Christmas. I agree that it seems more commercial each year...and merchandise promoted earlier, in abundance and sooner than seems necessary. I studied the New and Old Testament and the true meaning of Christmas does seem to have been lost somewhere in the gift bags, discounts, sales, Santa and decorations.

From what I remember, Jesus was poor. Born in a straw cradle. When visited, his "gifts" were few and minimal, expense wise.

How did all this turn into the biggest gift giving holiday of the year? The retailers count on these months to pull them out of the red. Malls and city streets are decorated by the end of Oct. with holly, wrapped packages, options for photos w/ Santa...even bring your pets for a photo op. 

Yes, the true meaning of Christmas, as I was taught, has been lost.

Honored Contributor

Stores and QVC will only stop when people stop buying.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus 

Thank you, beautifully said. 

Honored Contributor

I was done in July.  I get the Christmas in July thing, but the whole month?  No thanks.  And then, they started back in with Christmas shows in August.  I don't sit and watch QVC, but pop in here and there if nothing else is on I'm interested in.  But, if I see Christmas in the Guide, I don't even bother seeing what they're doing.  I've got nothing against Christmas, but I don't start until after Thanksgiving.  

Honored Contributor

new last night the amount spent over the run up to Christmas was staggering . 700 billion

and then people complain about they don't have money for the basics and necessities.

crazy,  

Frequent Contributor

I totally agree.  The reason behind Christmas is lost.  By the time Christmas actually arrives the excitement is gone.  

Respected Contributor

QVC's job is to sell products.  A large percentage of their viewers celebrate Christmas. 

Cha Ching.

Forget the word Gift in the title of nearly all the shows and the tree in the back ground and they are selling the exact same stuff they have all year. I pay no attention when they start telling me who I should buy for but the power of suggestion is strong. I sincerely doubt there will be an air compressor in every stocking.  Nor a computer under every tree or given to every schoolbus driver in the land.  Theres no more "Christmas" shows than there are shows selling handbags, jewelry and makeup.  And those are the bane of my vewing existance ALL YEAR LONG.  If you don't like what they're selling go do something else. or as my mother would say...Go Outside and Play!