Esteemed Contributor

Too many 1 item, 1 hour shows

Why in heaven's name is the Q so obsessed w/giving us one hour for one item??  Today it is the my pillow!  If it isn't one hour, it is usually 1/2 hour or more on a TSV.  Give it a rest already.....we are sick of this!!  Haven't you figured this out yet?

Respected Contributor

Re: Too many 1 item, 1 hour shows

[ Edited ]

I don't watch very often anymore, and this is one of the main reasons.  I cannot understand how it takes an hour to describe a pillow, or a vacuum, or  a fake fireplace, etc.  In fact, it seems to me that an hour is too much time to devote to any one single item of any kind.  Do they have some sort of contractual agreement to do so if they want to market the product?  For me, the hour shows of one item are the best reason I can find to hit the remote.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Totally agree!  Today it's a pillow!  What is there to say about a pillow that can't be summed up in two minutes or less???   When they sell beds, they might as well just show the host or vendor sleeping on one, because few will be listening to an hour long boring presentation.  Woman Frustrated   zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Respected Contributor

I really do not like the one hour for one product presentation concept.  I agree with you and think it is time for a change.

Honored Contributor

YES!  I could not agree more. If they are selling a Dyson, a tree trimmer, a pillow, a mattress, or whatever other one-trick-pony they come up with for the day, give it a 30 minute show like HSN and then move on. Or have a 1 hour variety show where 15-20 minutes is spent on the TSV and move on.

The only thing worse than expecting us to watch and listen to someone sell a pillow for an hour is asking someone to SELL one for an hour. Honestly, I don't know how the hosts do that. If I were any one of them and someone told me I had to sell a pillow for an hour, I think I'd suddenly have the flu or need an emergency root canal. And if they needed a note, fine - I'd rather go out and get a root canal than sell a pillow for an hour.

Trusted Contributor

You do relize that you are not required, in any way, to sit and watch an hourlong presentation, don't you?

QVC is in millions of homes, and people are constantly tuning in throughout the country at various times of day.  In order to maximize sales of items on which QVC is making significant profits, they must shows these items repeatedly and for extended periods of times (just as other shopping networks do).

QVC does not program its shows for individual shoppers.  The schedules revolve around business needs -- not our entertainment.  Despite what some posters here think, QVC is in business to make money -- not alleviate our boredom.

Esteemed Contributor

@KYToby

can you say infomercial?  I assume that QVC is being paid by the company who is bringing the item because I very much doubt that the QVC audience is tuning in for an hour at a time.

You're right, they are in the business of selling and making $ but if enough of us turn it off or don't buy, well, that doesn't necessarily work.

Esteemed Contributor

@KentuckyWoman @ChynnaBlue

these days I look at the program guide and most of the time, I don't bother to watch.  I check online to see what's "new" and if it is worth it, I may buy it that way, but watching endless presentations of one item isn't worth my time.

KYToby seems to be of the opinion that QVC isn't tailored to the individual consumer and he is probably right.  They used to have new and unique, now except in very unusual circumstances, they have same old and boring.  Yesterday was Vicenza day.  Normally I would have made time in my evening to watch some of it, but the products and the styles are simply not that interesting to me so I didn't even bother.

Honored Contributor

@GinaV24 wrote:

@KentuckyWoman @ChynnaBlue

these days I look at the program guide and most of the time, I don't bother to watch.  I check online to see what's "new" and if it is worth it, I may buy it that way, but watching endless presentations of one item isn't worth my time.

KYToby seems to be of the opinion that QVC isn't tailored to the individual consumer and he is probably right.  They used to have new and unique, now except in very unusual circumstances, they have same old and boring.  Yesterday was Vicenza day.  Normally I would have made time in my evening to watch some of it, but the products and the styles are simply not that interesting to me so I didn't even bother.

I don't watch unless there's something on that I'm interested in. I usually only watch shows like WEN, Philosophy, Quacker Factory, Dooney, Friday Night Beauty, Shoe Shopping or Now That's Cool with Jane or the problem solving/organizing or gadget shows. Unless I think something I really want is going to sell out, I record the shows so I can fast forward through the items I don't want to see.

They have 5 hours dedicated to a pillow - and that's not including the shows where the TSV makes a 30-minute appearance.

Trusted Contributor

15 minutes is enough to sell a pillow...today's programing is really awful.