Esteemed Contributor

I'm with @Winkk on this one.  I've always felt the hosts talk about their personal lives so you think of them as friends.   And you want to buy from your friends, right?

Also, the whole kissy face thing is a big turn-off for me.   

I don't watch QVC very often -- when I do watch, I usually have it muted.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Valued Contributor

I like it when they talk about friends, family, etc. There is only so muchy they can talk about in a prentation before it gets repeated and boring (aka, TSV's).

Honored Contributor

Makes you nervous?

Yes, some hosts talk about their personal experiences more than others, but they ALL do it to some degree.  The common denominator is that this selling technique is one of the foundations of TV sales. 

There are enough infomercial-style shows on QVC as it is.  I would not want to see the entire shopping experience turn into "Just the Facts Ma'am."  That would be extremely boring, in my opinion, and I would never watch/shop. 

These hosts do not live with me; I don't get that serious about their stories.  There are a couple of hosts I refuse to watch, for different reasons, so my overall experience remains very good.   

Honored Contributor

Several years ago, there was a behind the scenes type expose about QVC. When the hosts are on, there are all sorts of computations that show up as to sales, etc. that are being monitored.  When hosts talk about certain aspects of their personal life, if the sales numbers go up, they are told to keep on talking about their personal life, family, etc.  If the numbers go down while they are talking about stuff, they are told to move on.   

Esteemed Contributor

Totally agreed! When QVC first started out, they were focused on selling the item; all the details and stats. Now its like a talk show where we have to hear all about their families, this and that. We have many other channels with talk shows - if that is what we want. Buyers are looking for details - because they want to buy....not listen to chatter.

Honored Contributor

I'd far rather hear about their family than "I have 400 left in hello yellow; 200 ONLY in the blue; 100 in black, well black is gone; be on the line if your color is the brown; etc. etc. etc.

If you don't like the talk, why not after the item is described at first just mute it?  That might help with the stress and you could still shop.  

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

The hosts are not my "friends". I don't know any of them socially or otherwise.  I have no interest whatever in their personal lives.  I watch only to hear details about what they are presenting.

Just like Mary D. who refers to every other host, every vendor and every caller as "my friend."   
Valued Contributor

When the host is so self absorbed,its hard for them to talk about the products.I have solved the problem for myself...there are some hosts I will not watch.If they are talking non stop.laughing hysterically.discussing their lives and details about their families,dancing around,and doing everything but discussing the products.That does not leave but a few...but those that are left,I will watch  anything they are selling,I will bet those are the ones that are the top producers for qvc!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I would bet that QVC's biggest "producer" is also it's most famous dancer.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

I would bet that QVC's biggest "producer" is also it's most famous dancer.

@Johnnyeager  I would bet on two of them -- ballet dancer and happy dancer!