Super Contributor

Re: To Be a Fly on the Wall at QVC Host Meetings.....

@hb glamma.  One morning Jayne B. briefly discussed this. She said as part of her performance review she watched videos of herself.   She said she was surprised at her posture and walk and was going to try to improve it.  Once in a while we get a glimpse of behind the scenes. 

Esteemed Contributor

Shawn and Rick at the last meeting...

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Super Contributor

I'll bet that the hosts are given the new products to sample/use before presenting them, to at least have a little knowledge of what they're selling to the customers. Reps from the companies probably do present and discuss the products at these host meetings, but nothing is like actually using them beforehand. I often wondered what a host thinks when they don't care for a product, yet they have to make it sound like it's wonderful on the air.

Trusted Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

I've wondered what it would be like to actually know what the hosts are told to do on air and how they are fully rated in their performance (besides sales of course).  The hosts often say they have staff meetings nearly every day.  How many of those meetings entail corporate mantras like -- "That 2-hour show is your sitcom, be the STAR!"  "This is your Emmy performance, make them remember you!"  "Stand Out - Be Unique even if it's Jarring!"  "They've GOT to talk about you on social media, good or bad -- just Keep Trending!"   I'm sure I'm exaggerating, but I cannot help but think that some of the hosts have been given actual direction to keep up their wild, over-the-top pitch, or edgy [subjective] fashion sense, based on the direction they've actually been given.   

Supposedly, sales increase when David does his "happy dance", so his mantra is...  "shake what your mama gave you... shake your money maker...shake it, don't break it".

☀️...And I think to myself what a Wenderful world.☀️
Esteemed Contributor

They probably use those meters to tell them what is being said when sales increase; and inform hosts which words and talk inspires sales. That's why you hear all the same words and sales tactics used by all of them. 

Super Contributor

taja 123-- you are absolutely correct.

Honored Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

They probably use those meters to tell them what is being said when sales increase; and inform hosts which words and talk inspires sales. That's why you hear all the same words and sales tactics used by all of them. 

Sort of a Catch 22 isn't it... The very things inducing some to buy are the same things inducing others of us to turn the channel...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

Sort of a Catch 22 isn't it... The very things inducing some to buy are the same things inducing others of us to turn the channel...

Happy New Year, stevieb. We could call them the Stepford Hosts. 

Honored Contributor

Taja,

You are absolutely right, I actually remember reading an article in Allure magazine about Cristina Carlino when she was on air selling Philosophy, and how certain phrases she used sparked a sell out in minutes with the Philosophy line.It was a very interesting article..........