Esteemed Contributor

Re: Tired of hosts and vendors saying-----

There are some hosts and vendors I like, and some I refuse to watch.  But everyone of them have their own sayings that they repeat over and over.  Some are probably regional dialect where they grew up, and some may be phrases used by their family constantly over the years.   BTW, where I live, everyone says "you guys" -- it's normal to me.  I'll bet every poster on these boards has their own saying that they repeat a lot.  And, especially, if you had to be on live TV for several hours straight and keep talking every second.   The hosts have a difficult job.  Whether I like the host or not.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Valued Contributor

There is one I forgot...."they are flying out the door" when I hear this,I am amazed that they have enough for the maybe...third presentation!!If they are flying,I wear an extra,extra,extra small!{ha!}

Respected Contributor

@mosky wrote:

There is one I forgot...."they are flying out the door" when I hear this,I am amazed that they have enough for the maybe...third presentation!!If they are flying,I wear an extra,extra,extra small!{ha!}

I now can't remember who said this, but one day a host said "I'm wearing an extra small and I'm swimming in it."

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

Perhaps people watch because they are SHOPPING!

I do not watch the cooking shows because I have enough gadgets, gizmos, pots, pans, etc. to last the rest of my life and beyond!   However, I will watch some cosmetic and fashion programs because those items have to be replaced from time to time. 

Frequent Contributor

"Boho  chic"  WHAT is that?? Fabrication.  Cardi, mani pedi, span (dex),lumps and bumps, your trips to the pumpkin patch,  Once heard David Dangle describe an

outfit suitable for antiquing in Vermont or  enjoying your yacht.  Really??

Honored Contributor

“Feature price for today and today only. Ends at midnight”.

Well, ask any astronomer and they’ll tell you the day ends at midnight. 

Regular Contributor

Well, maybe. But they are paid well and get lots of freebies. When you take a job you should make an effort to do it well. I don't feel bad that they have to fill time...that's what they are hired to do!
Contributor

[ Edited ]

"Picked up," "spoken for," "requested" - the way hosts try to avoid using any form of buy/bought, because it's obviously too crass, and substitute these euphemisms instead.

But what I've really had it with is the frequency with which so many hosts and vendors state they love the product they're selling. Tell me why I would.

Honored Contributor

@Carolm wrote:

"Fabrication", and the latest one -- "curvation". 

@Carolm.  I hear the word fabrication used a lot of places other than QVC.  I don't know where it started but wish I could ask someone knowledgeable like Isaac, Bob, Louis, or Dennis.

If anyone ever gets to talk on TV to one of them, please ask.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Occasional Contributor

Gosh, I hope not!  Wouldn't that hurt?!

Spoiler
Woman Embarassed