Esteemed Contributor

Re: Three New QVC Hosts Started Their New Hire Training

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Kitty GaloreAmy Strand has a speech impediment. She has worked with speech therapists throughout her life. When tired, it is more apparent. She ambitious and does an amazing job in spite of her impairment. Have some compassion. 

@BirkiLady

I did not know that about Amy. I actually like her. She drove me a little crazy when she was pregnant with her first child, but I consider her a good host. 

Esteemed Contributor

@icezeusAnd I must have not watched QVC while she was pregnant. Suddenly, she was gone and no one mentioned Amy. I wasn't on these Forums and didn't know how to find out what happened. Finally, she returned and mentioned a baby! LOL  <face palm>

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@icezeusAnd I must have not watched QVC while she was pregnant. Suddenly, she was gone and no one mentioned Amy. I wasn't on these Forums and didn't know how to find out what happened. Finally, she returned and mentioned a baby! LOL  <face palm>

@BirkiLady

She had calmed down by the time she had her second child but her first child. Oh lord. Let's just say that she was very excited. LOL

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@icezeus  Amy does get excited. I'll bet she was wild with joy! On a shopping channel it would be annoying. Think it's a good thing I missed it! She is a cute little thing. I do enjoy watching her. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@froggy wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

Good seeing a man...English even better. Thanks for sharing. 

I hope he's not as annoying as Adam Freeman on HSN. That guy never takes a breath.

LOL his enthusiasm and lung capacity sold me the greatest shredder ever!  I couldn't not buy it.

Honored Contributor

I remember hearing about a regular guy shortly after I started watching - I think he was a nurse - in Pennsylvania who sent them an audition tape selling a pencil. They should have given him an interview - maybe they did? Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Mary Nelson and Cathy P. were professional QVC hosts immediately! Both have easily hosted a variety of shows with poise and grace. They have excellent use of the English language and are able to communicate effectively with quests. Such a joy to watch them.

Can think of two hosts (one newer and one fairly long-timer) who need additional training or their walking papers. Both are unbearable IMO.

Mary Nelsons nasal voice grates on my last nerve.  I turn her off.

Respected Contributor

@Teddixat wrote:

@topcat10

@Caaareful Shopper

i agree. More diversity in hosts please.  Many years ago they did hire an African American host but she was gone in no time.  It didn’t seem like they gave her much of a chance

Maybe you have not watched in the last 5-10 years and have missed Jane and Leah???

Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@Teddixat wrote:

@topcat10

@Caaareful Shopper

i agree. More diversity in hosts please.  Many years ago they did hire an African American host but she was gone in no time.  It didn’t seem like they gave her much of a chance

Maybe you have not watched in the last 5-10 years and have missed Jane and Leah???

@Shawnie  Jayne, Leah, Gabrielle, and Rachel.  Oh Good job QVC, Good job! [eye roll] Four hosts out of 32, and soon to be 4 hosts out of 35.  Of course I want to see whomever is best for the hosting job.  But come on...who's the recruiting manager over there?

Respected Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

@Teddixat wrote:

@topcat10

@Caaareful Shopper

@Shawnie  Jayne, Leah, Gabrielle, and Rachel.  Oh Good job QVC, Good job! [eye roll] Four hosts out of 32, and soon to be 4 hosts out of 35.  Of course I want to see whomever is best for the hosting job.  But come on...who's the recruiting manager over there?

I forgot about Gabrielle and Rachel B.  My bad.  Especially since I like Rachel but I haven't seen her lately.  Looks like they could do better on the Hispanic front I think.  Here are the most recent US racial demographics that I found.  People forget that AA are actually a small piece of the racial pie in the US.

"As of July 2016, White Americans are the racial majority. African Americans are the largest racial minority, amounting to an estimated 12.7% of the population. Hispanic and Latino Americans amount to an estimated 17.8% of the total U.S. population, making up the largest ethnic minority.[8] The White, non-Hispanic or Latino population make up 61.3% of the nation's total, with the total White population (including White Hispanics and Latinos) being 76.9%.[9]"

But I just want the most qualified, skilled oral presenter that does not annoy me.  From my point of view they just need to weed out anyone that smacks of a circus barker.  And QVC production managers have to stop telling the hosts to speed it up.  Manic presentations by anyone are a quick turn off for me.