Honored Contributor

Re: “This is the ‘antithesis’ of Quacker Factory”??

@ellaphant wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

Last evening, Kristine Zell presented the new Q2 Big Deal at 9 p.m.: a tee with reversible sequins, in 4 motifs. Angel Smedley, the brand rep., was with her. Early in the presentation, Kristine made a remark about the shirt being the “antithesis of Quacker Factory.” WHAT?? Did anyone else catch this? I think that’s the exact opposite of what she was trying to say. She was  attempting to convey that the shirt is a perfect example of QF’s style.

A better command of the English language is called for here, IMO. I’m surprised this video wasn’t replaced with a subsequent one, with a different host. Just some constructive criticism here...

Omg ! What a tragedy!!! 

@ellaphant   Yes, one expects the issues in the Middle East may be based solely on this.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Yes, she made a mistake. 

But for someone in her position, in that venue, it was a big one.

Disastrous?  Monumental?  No.  But shows the lack of care in preparing for a presentation.

@Johnnyeager   Not really.  I have heard much worse.  I rarely, if ever, hear even college-educated lawyers and broadcast journalists use proper verb-subject and objective-subjectives properly in speaking.  I hear such as he told Jane and I.  Major, major, major English language gaffe and no one is ever called on it.  It is used repeatedly on the cable news networks, i.e., CNN, MSNBC, Fox, etc.

Respected Contributor

Evidently, some people think if they use multi syllable words they sound intelligent.  Not in this case!  However, yes, we all make mistakes. 

Trusted Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I guess Angel knew better than to correct Kristine on-air.

At any rate, I wonder what the QF antithesis would look like.

LOL . . . that's what I thought when I saw the title of the thread -- what would that be?  

Honored Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

Here's the thing: I'm sure the hosts are making some decent money. Part of what they're being paid for (IMO) is to communicate selling points to the TV audience. If hosts are  uncertain about a word, they should LOOK IT UP.

The prefix of "antithesis" is, of course, "anti." So it's not going to be supporting a product. Might not be a word to use.

@insomniac2 : Exactly!

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I guess Angel knew better than to correct Kristine on-air.

At any rate, I wonder what the QF antithesis would look like.

@ValuSkr  Linea

Trusted Contributor

Oh, brother, it must be so nice to never make verbal mistakes!! I didn't see this presentation but really???? She is a human being, not a pre-programmed robot!!! At the end of the day, not a big deal at all!!!! IMO!!!
Honored Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

Last evening, Kristine Zell presented the new Q2 Big Deal at 9 p.m.: a tee with reversible sequins, in 4 motifs. Angel Smedley, the brand rep., was with her. Early in the presentation, Kristine made a remark about the shirt being the “antithesis of Quacker Factory.” WHAT?? Did anyone else catch this? I think that’s the exact opposite of what she was trying to say. She was  attempting to convey that the shirt is a perfect example of QF’s style.

A better command of the English language is called for here, IMO. I’m surprised this video wasn’t replaced with a subsequent one, with a different host. Just some constructive criticism here...

@handygal2 

It shows you even with time in the host position KZ hasnt changed and continues to make MAJOR mistakes .....this is by far not her first mistake by any means.....And it shows continued lack of preparation on her part....YET QVC continues to "put her out there" in prime spots that would be better served if Katie McGree or Terri Conn were hosting the shows instead.......JMHO! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

I think we have all made mistakes when speaking, and used the wrong word.  

@Peaches McPhee 

But she continues to KEEP MAKING MISTAKES this is her job, her profession and lack of preparedness is evident!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

@handygal2I disagree -  you're sitting outisde the turmoil of a busy stage with all the time in the world to listen and even relisten.  Speakers do not have that time and, according to various speech teachers I've worked with, should not be judged by the standards of the written language where thoughtful proofreading can eliminate many missteps.

In addition, I don't like the tendency of social media to call for firing so many people.  Can't imagine you or anyone else you know worked through a career without making an error -  especially one that doesn't change the world -  probably doesn't even change the sale of the QF item being presented.

IMO, there ARE errors that should be investigated as a potential reason for removing someone from a position.  A misspoken word on a shopping channel just doesn't get anywhere near my standard. 

@millieshops  @handygal2 

Let's hold her to a STANDARD OF HER PEERS, those  who do a GREAT JOB and take time with their preparation....never seen a host make as many mistakes as KZ.......Host hired after her are more polished, prepared and more sincere in their presentations.....like I said before its like she puts a script in her mind and if something comes up that makes her deviate from the script she makes gaffes!!!  Instead she should do her homework on the merchandise she is presenting (afterall we hear about the product and production meetings the host attend) so INSTEAD OF PREPARING A SCRIPTED STORY and she needs to just give honest detailed information about the product, fabric and performance........See my comments on other threads about Terri Conn, Courtney K, Leah. Katie, Gabrielle...etc etc....