Honored Contributor

Re: “This is the ‘antithesis’ of Quacker Factory”??

That reminds me of the time Stacey Stauffer described Brazil as being on the West Coast of South America.  I believe she used to give weather reports on local TV which probably means she studied lots of geography.

20200109_105146.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

We all make mistakes sometimes, especially when unscripted and live. One mistake does not automatically mean she needs a better command of the English language. A pattern of behavior would indicate a need for better command of the English language, but you have cited a single occurrence. One instance means she slipped, as we all do on occasion.

@Alison Wonderland : According to these forums, this person has had several gaffes, although l haven’t seen them all.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

I just cant wrap my mind around that hosts are not allowed mistakes.  Hosts are people and therefore human and make mistakes.  I would venture to say that most of the viewing audience did not catch the word or does not know what it means.  So life will go on.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie.  There's a difference between a minor mistake, which anyone could make, and a major gaffe.  A person with a college education should be more astute than to make gaffes.  They show lack of preparation and forethought.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

Respected Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

I think we have all made mistakes when speaking, and used the wrong word.  

True... myself included. But everyday speaking, and television broadcasting are two different things, and the standards for TV should be higher, IMO.

People on TV also make mistakes. Gee. Be kind.

Respected Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

Last evening, Kristine Zell presented the new Q2 Big Deal at 9 p.m.: a tee with reversible sequins, in 4 motifs. Angel Smedley, the brand rep., was with her. Early in the presentation, Kristine made a remark about the shirt being the “antithesis of Quacker Factory.” WHAT?? Did anyone else catch this? I think that’s the exact opposite of what she was trying to say. She was  attempting to convey that the shirt is a perfect example of QF’s style.

A better command of the English language is called for here, IMO. I’m surprised this video wasn’t replaced with a subsequent one, with a different host. Just some constructive criticism here...

Omg ! What a tragedy!!! 

Trusted Contributor

@LorelaiGilmore  ..... Ordinary word:  opposite, reverse. And speaking in plain normal language is not "dumbing down". How many people use that word in their daily life?

Honored Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

Last evening, Kristine Zell presented the new Q2 Big Deal at 9 p.m.: a tee with reversible sequins, in 4 motifs. Angel Smedley, the brand rep., was with her. Early in the presentation, Kristine made a remark about the shirt being the “antithesis of Quacker Factory.” WHAT?? Did anyone else catch this? I think that’s the exact opposite of what she was trying to say. She was  attempting to convey that the shirt is a perfect example of QF’s style.

A better command of the English language is called for here, IMO. I’m surprised this video wasn’t replaced with a subsequent one, with a different host. Just some constructive criticism here...

Omg ! What a tragedy!!! 

Who said it was a tragedy?

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Super Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

@LorelaiGilmore  ..... Ordinary word:  opposite, reverse. And speaking in plain normal language is not "dumbing down". How many people use that word in their daily life?

It is not an uncommon word. It's a word that I would not find unusual to hear in a conversation with friends. It's not like this word is so obscure that people would likely not know its meaning. In this case, I do think it's dumbing down. The phrase "normal language" indicates a bias. 

“…nevertheless, she persisted.”