Honored Contributor

Re: “This is the ‘antithesis’ of Quacker Factory”??

@millieshops : Point well taken. I don’t think she should be fired... just better-prepared with her talking points.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Valued Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I guess Angel knew better than to correct Kristine on-air.

At any rate, I wonder what the QF antithesis would look like.

The antithesis of QF would be tailored classic clothing

Honored Contributor

I think it's possible Kristine used the word she wanted to use.  Perhaps she was trying to convey that this top is more upscale and not the usual QF items. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@handygal2  ..... Am I missing something? I do not see any post recommending anyone be fired?

Honored Contributor

@handygal2I didn't watch the show, so she may well have needed better preparation; however, if forethought and preparation could have kept me from committing the kind of mental lapse I feel was made in this instance, I could have saved myself lots of grief in my life.

Those lapses aren't what make me think a speaker had not prepared.  She knew what she meant -  and the rest of what she said led you to realize what she wanted to say.  Real lack of preparation on her part might not have done that.

Honored Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

@handygal2  ..... Am I missing something? I do not see any post recommending anyone be fired?

@Sheila P-Burg : Post #10 mentions that some people on social media would recommend firing for something like this, but l don’t agree.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Super Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

I think the question is why would a host even use this word? Why not just speak plain ordinary English. Half the people watching the show probably didn't even know what the word meant. They are there to present the merchandise to the possible buyers not use words they may or may not know the meaning of and definitely not words that do not describe the merchandise where a person knows what they are talking about. As was done in a previous video QVC should replace this video with a presentation that accurately describes the merchandise.

What is "plain ordinary English"? That is not a difficult word. I think the last thing we need to be doing is more dumbing down. 

“…nevertheless, she persisted.”
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Firing over a misuse of a word? Not likely. 

Respected Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

A better command of the English language is called for here, IMO. I’m surprised this video wasn’t replaced with a subsequent one, with a different host. Just some constructive criticism here...

Nope.

I'm a trainer and public speaker. I speak professionally, sometimes for very long periods. We all make mistakes sometimes, especially when unscripted and live. One mistake does not automatically mean she needs a better command of the English language. A pattern of behavior would indicate a need for better command of the English language, but you have cited a single occurrence. One instance means she slipped, as we all do on occasion. Most of us are just lucky enough that we don't slip on camera in front of a live audience or have it recorded for people to play at will. 

Do you know there are performers who write their own songs and music and still manage to get lyrics wrong in live shows? They wrote the lyrics themselves, so I'd say they have an absolute understanding of the lyrics, yet they make mistakes because they have a great many songs to perform and are human. Peter Gabriel is notorious for this and is also one of the most amazing live performers I've had the pleasure of seeing.

People make mistakes. It's time to demonstrate a great command of empathy.

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

At any rate, I wonder what the QF antithesis would look like.

A plain black or white button-down shirt and black pants or a plain polo and khakis. Anything designed to blend in, like the uniforms of servers or retail clerks.