Honored Contributor

Re: This concept about selling

[ Edited ]

All I know is back in the late 90's a host that was fired for low sales brought a lawsuit against QVC.....the judge ruled that male hosts did get preferred prime time show times. and she was awarded$68000...back then there were quite a few male hosts....

In his closing statement Monday, QVC lawyer H. Robert Fiebach, said Owens was in denial about the limitations of her talent. Her sales figures, he claimed, were “dismal.” He noted that the competition for prime on-air jobs at the network was fierceI

Another male host in 2001 also filed a lawsuit.  He said after two years of overnight shifts selling Elvis memorabilia and other difficult-to-move items, he was shocked when his bosses said, "We don't think you're relating to the public".  I don't want a handout, I don't want special treatment," he said. "I just wanted the same opportunity as everyone else.public." 

QVC officials counter that the channel promotes solely on the merits of its staffers. They also challenge the contention that the overnight shift is less valuable air time, noting that some of QVC's most popular products debut at midnight.

Ellen Rubin, a spokeswoman for QVC, said that hosts are paid a fixed salary no matter how much they sell. But Mr. Velez, a 34-year-old from Astoria, Queens, who is now pursuing an acting career, said yesterday that hosts are under pressure to sell. A host's salary is not formally based on sales commissions, he said, but contended that sales volumes affected raises, bonuses and contract renewals.

Mr. Velez said that as a late-night host, he earned $80,000 a year. Some hosts working the prime-time periods earned over $500,000, he said, because of their higher sales totals.

That was a long time ago and things could certainly have changed....but some things remain the same

The former female host said she was relegated to the 3 to 6 a.m. shift, which
saddled her with the difficult task of selling the same products every morning.
"It's impossible to develop good sales figures and a good following if you're showing the same exact products, day after day, to the same people," said

I'll add a hearty AMEN to that!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@sashamatthews wrote:

Let's go back to the old days:  there was pressure to sell, but the industry was new and there was no internet competition.  Hello 2019:  as others have said, the sales are tracked by the second.  The pressure to sell is unbelievably high.  Look at IT Cosmetics - people are complaining about how much time IT is on, but IT is today's Bare Escentuals - remember when BE would sell 150,000 TSVs in the blink of an eye ... Not today - BE is a shadow of what it was, it seems.  And the power of L'Oreal, which owns IT, is a driving force to make those sales and make them now.  I also think the pressure caused the Q to apparently eliminate the opportunity to cancel an order within a reasonable amount of time after placement.  You wanted it, you ordered it, it's "in process" and cannot be cancelled.  The Q is in the business of making money.  Plain and simple.  The hosts will do what they can to make that a reality.

Many of us are tired of IT Cosmetics, Josie Maran, philosophy, etc. 

I may be incorrect, but it must be selling.  Either that or they have agreements for so much they just have to try to sell them!

It would be interesting to know why we are bombarded with certain brands when many are tired of them.  With their purchasing power, you would think QVC could get some different brands.

HSN has that very annoying feature of not being able to cancel orders.  I sure don't like it.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Venezia I had a neighbor who spent a ton of money for a Princess Diana BB for her (awful) DIL who wanted it.

A few months later, said DIL divorced my friend's son!

@Love my grandkids 

The Princess Diana one was the one my daughter wanted most.  It was one of the more expensive at the time.

We had some nasty issues with not being able to get it at some reasonable price.

Hyacinth