Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Catiele wrote:

I for one do not want anything upscale nor would I like to live in the Hamptons. Would take country quiet any day.

I have a house in the Hamptons, and it's actually pretty quiet and very country-like.

Please don't let LR's distorted descriptions of the Hamptons carry any weight.  Everything she ever said about this really nice (and normal!) area is laughable.  She has no idea what it's like to live here or be part of any of the Hamptons communities.

I was going to say, the Hamptons aren't exactly urban... 

Woman Wink

The fact that a significant component of successful or 'noteworthy' people have or lease homes among the several villages that comprise 'The Hamptons' doesn't negate the fact that parts of the various Hamtons communities are sort of bucolic. All the homes aren't mansions, the streets aren't paved with gold and not everyone drives a Maybach or a Tesla... 

Exactly!  

But even the areas with enormously successful people aren't the way LR misrepresents.  My neighborhood has lots of celebrities and very wealthy people.  But it's certainly not non-stop parties or people trying to impress each other.  I hate the way it's been stereotyped as an area that's filled with shallow, designer-obsessed, round-the-clock partiers with money to burn and no values of substance.  That's not the case at all. 

People who have money usually dress the way they want, buy what they want, and don't give two figs about what's "upscale" or about what someone else tells them is the lastest thing.  It's the wannabees who get caught up in all that nonsense.

Valued Contributor

Very nice post @NYC Susan

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Catiele wrote:

I for one do not want anything upscale nor would I like to live in the Hamptons. Would take country quiet any day.

I have a house in the Hamptons, and it's actually pretty quiet and very country-like.

Please don't let LR's distorted descriptions of the Hamptons carry any weight.  Everything she ever said about this really nice (and normal!) area is laughable.  She has no idea what it's like to live here or be part of any of the Hamptons communities.

I was going to say, the Hamptons aren't exactly urban... 

Woman Wink

The fact that a significant component of successful or 'noteworthy' people have or lease homes among the several villages that comprise 'The Hamptons' doesn't negate the fact that parts of the various Hamtons communities are sort of bucolic. All the homes aren't mansions, the streets aren't paved with gold and not everyone drives a Maybach or a Tesla... 

Exactly!  

But even the areas with enormously successful people aren't the way LR misrepresents.  My neighborhood has lots of celebrities and very wealthy people.  But it's certainly not non-stop parties or people trying to impress each other.  I hate the way it's been stereotyped as an area that's filled with shallow, designer-obsessed, round-the-clock partiers with money to burn and no values of substance.  That's not the case at all. 

People who have money usually dress the way they want, buy what they want, and don't give two figs about what's "upscale" or about what someone else tells them is the lastest thing.  It's the wannabees who get caught up in all that nonsense.

Visited family last night who live in Pebble Beach, for a birthday party.  Not every home in PB is a multi-million dollar mansion or overlooking the 18th hole or with a view of crashing surf. Some people have lived there 30-50-60 years and bought when it wasn’t what it has become.  It is very secluded though. If you don’t arrive via GPS you’d better bring a bloodhound and someone’s t-shirt or you’ll never get there.

I imagine there are similarities with the Hamptons, Beverly Hills and Montecito, as well as Napa. Not everyone who lives in a wealthy area is rich as in buy anything you’d ever want.

If (figurative) you feel it necessary to label something as upscale, it most probably isn’t.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I would never buy anything because it is on any celebrity's "list" of favorites.  Also, I don't like items with the brand name all over it.  That's just me.

Valued Contributor

I'm sure all of you remember Lisa R always using the expression..It's MONEY......That usr to make me cringe....

Esteemed Contributor

@Alexa6352 wrote:

I'm sure all of you remember Lisa R always using the expression..It's MONEY......That usr to make me cringe....

It was as though the most important thing in the world was to appear wealthy.  

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Alexa6352 wrote:

Isn’t Isaac big with all that Hamptons, Money, etc kwap when he’s on, too?

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Alexa6352 wrote:

Isn’t Isaac big with all that Hamptons, Money, etc kwap when he’s on, too?

Unfortunately yes.

Isaac is Bridgehampton.

Respected Contributor

The word upscale is totally relative.

Trusted Contributor

I am just naturally so opposed to--and suspicious of--any kind of pretentiousness that all such adjectives are an immediate turn-off. Especially from someone attempting to sell me anything, or otherwise influence my thinking. I automatically shift my attention elsewhere. 

This sales tactic must work on many, tho. They have overused it for years. Nothing will change until that does. 😣