Honored Contributor

Is it just me?   I haven't the foggiest idea of what the op is trying to say...lol   I hope she knows.

Honored Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:

Haven’t heard it in a while, but “the Hamptons.”  We are not a bunch of hicks sitting home yearning to be like the rich people. 

That just a LR.  Apparently, that was her idea of having made it.  

Honored Contributor

Re: These Are So Upscale

[ Edited ]

Not everyone keeps ups with the latest trends or know what is upscale and what isn't.  There are some very plain rather ordinary items that are designer, cost a lot of money and are considered upscale.  Many people including me just don't know that because it's not items we shop for on a regular basis. 

Ones "ordinary or cloddish" is someone else's upscale.  That ordinary and cloddish looking tote might be a knock-off of a very high-end designer item. 

Years and years ago I bought an Ecclissi sterling watch watch because I liked it.  I had no idea it was a knock-off of a Cartier watch until I had people commenting about how much they liked my "Cartier" watch.      

Honored Contributor

I have never aspired to be "upscale", ready for the "red carpet", belong in "the Hamptons", etc.  I'm quite happy just being me!

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

I'm trying to remember if there was ever a time when any of these annoying phrases might have motivated me to buy.

I cannot.

All of the emphasis on upscale and high end means nothing to me.  I drive around in a 30 year old Ford Ranger, so not sure I could convince anyone I live an "upscale" existance.

But, then, I don't really want or need to.

To me, “upscale” means something/someone trying to look expensive, a wannabe. Those who have plenty of money and routinely display it on their backs don’t even think of putting a label on their daily wear. If you have to point it out as if it’s above your norm (“upscale”) then that’s saying you’re a wannabe pretender.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Upscale doesn't mean wannabe anything.  The definition of upscale is relatively more expensive.

There are plenty of wealthy people who wear labels of some kind.  Most designer handbags have some type of label on them whether it's the Gucci "G" or the interlocking CC on Chanel, etc.  Watches generally have a name on them, there is the tell-tale red sole of a Louboutin shoe and so forth.

People who know high-end and upscale also know designer items by seeing them, whether they have a label or not.    

Do I think there are upscale items on QVC?  In the true sense of the word, no.  Do I think there are items that are meant to look upscale (ie knock-offs)?  Yes.  

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Not everyone keeps ups with the latest trends or know what is upscale and what isn't.  There are some very plain rather ordinary items that are designer, cost a lot of money and are considered upscale.  Many people including me just don't know that because it's not items we shop for on a regular basis. 

Ones "ordinary or cloddish" is someone else's upscale.  That ordinary and cloddish looking tote might be a knock-off of a very high-end designer item. 

Years and years ago I bought an Ecclissi sterling watch watch because I liked it.  I had no idea it was a knock-off of a Cartier watch until I had people commenting about how much they liked my "Cartier" watch.      

If one needs to be told what to buy, and needs to be told what is upscale (and would believe a host on a shopping channel) then they are poseurs and it will show. If someone selling watches out of a suitcase tells you they’re genuine Rolexes... Knock-offs are everywhere. If I can’t buy the real thing, I don’t want a wannabe copy so I’ll be identified as a wannabe. That’s what Lisa Robertson is doing - selling wannabe copies so suburban housewives can tell themselves no one will know it’s not designer.

Trendy isn’t the same as upscale. 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Upscale doesn't mean wannabe anything.  The definition of upscale is relatively more expensive.

There are plenty of wealthy people who wear labels of some kind.  Most designer handbags have some type of label on them whether it's the Gucci "G" or the interlocking CC on Chanel, etc.  Watches generally have a name on them, there is the tell-tale red sole of a Louboutin shoe and so forth.

People who know high-end and upscale also know designer items by seeing them, whether they have a label or not.    

Do I think there are upscale items on QVC?  In the true sense of the word, no.  Do I think there are items that are meant to look upscale (ie knock-offs)?  Yes.  

Precisely my point. Those with $$ don’t require being told something is upscale, they know by looking at it. So saying something is upscale in order to get people who don’t know to buy it is eye-rolling. It may or may not be, but on a shopping channel the odds are it’s not.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

If one needs to be told what to buy, and needs to be told what is upscale (and would believe a host on a shopping channel) then they are poseurs and it will show. If someone selling watches out of a suitcase tells you they’re genuine Rolexes... Knock-offs are everywhere. If I can’t buy the real thing, I don’t want a wannabe copy so I’ll be identified as a wannabe. That’s what Lisa Robertson is doing - selling wannabe copies so suburban housewives can tell themselves no one will know it’s not designer.

Trendy isn’t the same as upscale. 

As I said, there are items I own not knowing they are copies of something, like the watch I posted about.  There are items I want and will never be able to afford, like a Cartier Ballon Bleu watch.  I have one done by Bronzo Italia.  Do I care that it's not real?  Nope.  No one in my immediate circle of friends, co-workers, etc. would know a Ballon Bleu watch from a Timex.  I love the watch.  I've had people comment on it being pretty. 

There have been handbags I've liked but again, they are out of my price range.  Sometimes I find an "inspired by" bag and purchase it.  I don't buy true knock-offs as in something having the label/name of the real deal when it's fake.  I'd never do that. 

Most of the stuff Lisa is selling that is inspired by something much higher end, I don't believe the average person is going to know about.  I don't know what the real deal equivalent is of most of what she's selling.          

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Precisely my point. Those with $$ don’t require being told something is upscale, they know by looking at it. So saying something is upscale in order to get people who don’t know to buy it is eye-rolling. It may or may not be, but on a shopping channel the odds are it’s not.

It's out of my thought process that there are people who would buy something because a host on a shopping channel says it's upscale.  That's why the concept doesn't cross my mind.  LOL

Just like I cannot believe there are people who buy something just because it was on Oprah's favorite things list.  SMH