Respected Contributor

The moneyed are in style right now and they are really happy.

Trusted Contributor

@Moonchilde:

The only hosts that could pull off the upscale comment was Kathy Levine and Lisa Robertson. Any and all others should retire it, actually.

Moonchilde wrote:

Yet another meaningless dribble amongst so many others.

A “so upscale” very plain fabric and design tote bag that looks like...a rather clod-ish tote bag. Utterly genderless and utterly without charm. But “so upscale.”

I don’t know what’s creepier - that they say this because they think it will impress people, or that it does impress some people.

dee

Honored Contributor

Old Money vs New Money. Yet, when does new money become old money? Even old money was once new money exept for the rare few, lol.

IMHO, this whole "upscale, The Hampton's, looks like money" junk started with Ralph Lauren and his brilliant marketing of selling the IMAGE of what it's like to be wealthy/Old Money to those who didn't have it but WANTED to look like or give off the illusion that they did. 

It worked and very well.

In the end, if you buy based on those terms or because "the rich and famous" wear it/love it, then that's on you. If you buy it because you simply LIKE it, well, isn't that why we should be buying something? NOT talking necessities here, folks, btw.

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Yet another meaningless dribble amongst so many others.

A “so upscale” very plain fabric and design tote bag that looks like...a rather clod-ish tote bag. Utterly genderless and utterly without charm. But “so upscale.”

I don’t know what’s creepier - that they say this because they think it will impress people, or that it does impress some people.

@Moonchilde  What I want to know is how do they know these clothes are yummy????  They must be chewing on them before they go on air.

Esteemed Contributor

i have never understood why saying those words would be a selling point. I never look at an item and think I am going to purchase because it looks upscale.

Do I like the item, does it look nice, what is the cost, and what are the reviews carry more weight  with my buying decision then "It looks upscale, or Madison Ave".

I am from California so it's just as silly as saying to me that something looks Very "Rodeo Drive".