Trusted Contributor

Re: The " it's only $39 and (change)" routine.

A former host used to like to say that when you spread the cost of the item over the “X” number of Easy Pay months on your credit card it was like getting it free. Free because it would just become part of all the other charges on your credit card bill and you’d never realize the difference. That one really bugged me. However I’m actually surprised no one else had picked.
Esteemed Contributor

I prefer that they give exact amounts. My peeve is when they go on and on about getting it home for $___ and only repeating the price of that first easy pay instead of the full amount.

Hearing something is $39 and change would probably get my attention since it's seldom I see something under $50 these days. 😂

Trusted Contributor

@JKMarch  Join the Club! 😄 This is a popular complaint on the forums. Anytime I hear "...and change" I automatically round up the price. It's true that the retail price mentioned is always rounded up to even dollar amount, $40.00, but QVC's, more attractive price, is $39.99. Or, the ever popular "under $40.00" which basically translates to $40.00.

It is all just "Sales 101" - Say anything to make the item's cost appear cheaper/more affordable. As always, the host and every member in their families own one, too. 😉 And, a lot of people are buying more than one. The list goes on. 

I just automatically round up to an even dollar amount, and, if there is a standard Shipping Charge (around $5,) I add $10 to the item's cost to include shipping and tax, so a $40 item will roughly cost me $50.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Trusted Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Krimpette wrote:

And of course, "under $40".  Ridiculous.

Well, isn't $39.99 under $40.00❓❓❓❓

@Anonymous032819  Yes, technically it is. But, don't you say $40 if you're looking at an item anywhere, not just QVC, when you're shopping? 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Melzie 

@Melzie wrote:

Not only that but they fail to tell you during the presentation how much it will be after you add shipping and tax if you're in a state that charges sales tax.  All of a sudden the "get it home for only $12.99" becomes $18-$20!

Your complaint makes no sense to me. 🤔

Shipping and handling charges are always clearly stated in the online product description.

As you must know,  each state have different sales tax.   How and why should the online presentation cover that? 

And before you check out,  the final amount before tax (shipping and handling), is clearly  noted.  Just add your own state's sales tax.   It is very easy.

I purchase food online.   QVC shipping and handling is always free.  I know what is my state's sale tax, and I factor that in the final purchase price.  
'It is what it is".  😁

JMO.

Good luck.

~Life is short. Eat well.~

Esteemed Contributor

I can't speak to phone orders but it clearly IMO shows the total cost including tax., and if using easy pay what the first payment is including shipping and tax.  I agree with all the comments about $29.99 being $29 and change. If I may add a minor irritate it's saying "bucks" for dollars.  (the little non important things that are annoying LOL)

Trusted Contributor

Well, we all have pet peeves, right? I have several. Don't ask! Smiley Wink

But here's the thing. When I try to imagine having a job where I have to describe and sell items one after the other, hour after hour, it seems to me that I'd reach for every different way I could think of to say the same things: 14 bucks, 14 dollars, about 14 dollars, just under 14 dollars, 14 dollars, 13 dollars and 99 cents, 13 dollars and change, less than 14 dollars, under 14 dollars, etc. 

Which makes me wonder, what if they are assuming we are smart instead of dumb--smart enough to know that all retailers do the 99 cent thing, and it's just a way to state the price that sounds better and sells more. (It still works even though everyone knows it is a sales tactic.) 

Respected Contributor

It's nothing new. All retail whether online or brick and mortar use these and other selling methods. Not something to get truly outraged about IMO. Smiley Indifferent

Valued Contributor

I totally understand what you are saying but the discussion was about how it's being verbally presented.  There are some people who just see/hear the "$12.99" and think that that is the cost without paying attention to the fine print, so to speak.  All I, and some others, are saying is that it would be more clear if it were presented as "$12.99 easy pay plus shipping and taxes."  While most people who shop on TV are savvy to how things work, as one person said, there could be seniors out there who aren't paying close attention or people who may just misunderstand and aren't seeing the whole picture.  And it isn't a complaint, just an observation.   :manhappy: Have a great day!

Regular Contributor

Take it for what it is . Why complain when you make a purchase . This is probably not your first purchase. I don't care of your complaint . If I like an item , I will make the purchase . I do not make many QVC purchases . I do appreciate what they are selling . The product has been ordered maybe two years in advance, they are not at fault that their orders are not as large, and that you missed out on a item . No one knew that we would all be experiencing a Covid 19 and and that it would cause economic problems . Be grateful that you can make a purchase ,family ,  have employment , good health , a home ,and food on the table and so much more . You all must have some sort of life .