Valued Contributor

The new word for 'made in China'

The new word is "Imported". Are they fooling anyone?

Honored Contributor

Re: The new word for 'made in China'

I think it is insulting that they changed to that verbiage.

Many consumers these days are trying to keep jobs in the USA, care about employee treatment and ridiculously low wages in China and less than acceptable child labor laws, don't trust the quality control of Chinese made goods, etc so to hide the country of origin so that those consumers that care about these things (and try to avoid them) will perhaps be "tricked" into buying something they normally wouldn't is VERY disingenuous and shady.

Trusted Contributor

Not again!

Look, it's very simple. Some items are made in multiple countries or kits may contain products from multiple countries. A good example is Lock n Lock storage containers. Individual pieces may be produced in multiple countries, with certain countries producing the exact same pieces.

As a result, the warehouses may have the same product from multiple countries. So please, oh please, explain a better word to use as these items arrive preboxed, and neither the hosts nor the web programmers can distinguish what goes from the warehouse.

If you want to keep jobs in the US, avoid anything that says "imported." In fact, avoid most items because even USA-made items frequently contain imported components (e.g. KitechenAid mixers). In reality, very few products are completely US-made, and if this is what you are looking for, QVC is not the place to find them (hint: there are websites which sell and identify such products).

The reality is Chinese-made products are difficult -- if not impossible -- to avoid, and quite frankly, there are many countries much worse than China. While I actually agree that we should support companies which product quality products, pay fair wages, and have good working conditions, I think a focus on China -- and China alone -- is myopic, disingenuous, and silly.

Honored Contributor

KYToby, you are missing the point of OP's post- QVC use to list the countries of origin and have replaced it in many instances with "imported" instead. She isn't discussing why we should or shouldn't avoid Chinese made products, but the fact that QVC has opted to hide the country of origin, therefore not allowing customers to make an informed decision.

What you think people should or shouldn't do regarding Chinese made products isn't really at issue here- it is QVC being honest and upfront with customers so THEY can make an informed decisions based on THEIR beliefs and feelings, (right or wrong and whether you agree or not), on the subject.

Honored Contributor

You're making it sound as if only QVC does this. I buy almost no QVC clothing - one piece so far in 2014 and it's clearly marked as to its country of origin. But there are things marked imported in my closet. How did that happen?

Honored Contributor

I guess this is a big deal for some. It isn't for me... Not that I like it, but it isn't going to change substantially.

If I like/need/want an item, can afford it and assume it to be a decent value, the country of origin is probably the last thing I notice, if I even notice...

I think we all have our preferences about where we'd like to see items made, but that ship has sailed and I don't see it returning to port. For better or worse, today's international economy and manufacturing practices don't support the notion of lots of things being produced domestically. As for specific disclosure by QVC and others, again, it just isn't a deal breaker for me.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Most companies have been doing this for years.

Respected Contributor

Zoeyukon, I agree and most of the products made in China made for us or our 4 legged children to ingest one way or another are very dangerous.

I guess to now say "imported" is a way to make us think the product is somehow better than to be made in China or some other country.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Respected Contributor

I want to know WHAT country an item comes from. I always appreciated that QVC was very upfront about items made in China. Now it looks like they're trying to hide that fact. That does not impress me.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Super Contributor

I thought it was ""Global"" news to me.