Valued Contributor

It really blows my mind that so many people are taking it personally that Dan and Carolyn got laid off from QVC. People get laid off from jobs all the time. I've seen posts saying they called corporate about the layoffs or they quit watching bc of Dan and Carolyn. What about the other 398 people that were laid off?? Are these same people calling QVC about them as well?? No,bc like I said- people get laid off all the time. I guarantee that Dan and Carolyn are in a much better tax bracket than the other 398 people who lost their jobs. Dan and Carolyn were hosts and I'm sure lots of people feel connected to them, but that's simply not true. QVC is a business. The hosts are not your friends. Do you think Dan or Carolyn would be this upset if you were laid off?? No, bc again, they are not your friends. They were hosts. It's time to come back to reality and move on. 

Respected Contributor

Re: The layoffs at QVC

[ Edited ]

@Glitter51  QVC has made a concerted effort over the years to make their hosts friends to viewers, even giving off a family vibe.  Hosts' singing Christmas albums, the dog Murphy, weekends with ITKW with Bob Bowersox Bed & Breakfast and studio tour. Hosts going through life threatening illness and sharing their recovery.  All those things can and in some cases justifiably pull at your heart strings and make you open to believing the host on the product description and with QVC hoping you'll buy it.

Not sure that's the MO today as the frenetic screaming isn't the same approach but in the past especially when QVC was building their business their intention was for the host to be the friend in your living room.

So the other 390+ layoffs, the guy you don't know in Twitter admin, numerous other tech employee layoffs are apples & oranges.  I'm not of the opinion either way as to perceptions of QVC hosts but wanted to give you history on the channel so you could understand why a host leaving can be missed.

Respected Contributor

@Glitter51 

Well put.

It IS getting ridiculous.

If one Googles "how many job layoffs in 2023".... if you're looking for other Company message boards to bombard with outrage about thier layoffs..... it makes QVC'S 400 out of 27,000 people look like peanuts.

It happens.

EVERY 

SINGLE

DAY.

Honored Contributor

Well said @rockygems123 .

Valued Contributor

@rockygems123 - it's ok for people to miss a host- but some things I've read- it's gotten to the point of obsession over them being laid off.  Times change but some people can't wrap their heads around the fact that these people were TV sales people. 

Respected Contributor

Re: The layoffs at QVC

[ Edited ]

@Glitter51 wrote:

@rockygems123 - it's ok for people to miss a host- but some things I've read- it's gotten to the point of obsession over them being laid off.  Times change but some people can't wrap their heads around the fact that these people were TV sales people. 

@Glitter51.  I think what you said about times change is important as some people really have a tough time with it.  

Personally I love change as I run my own business and if I don't adapt then I won't be successful.  Works for my personal life too. Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

Spot on @Glitter51 !!!

Respected Contributor

@rockygems123 

Hmmmmm.....I found "change" to be refreshing too...!!!

I did it about 9 times over my life so far ( sig others!!!).

Each one brought something to the table, then we all had to reshuffle and re-emerge to fight again!!! And it made us all stronger!!

Gotta shake things up!!!!

Complacency is death!

Respected Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

Well said @rockygems123 .

@San Antonio Gal.  Thank you! Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

Don't know about others, QVC intentionally created a homey family environment, wanted viewers to get to know the hosts, encouraged them to tell us personal stories.  We met their family members, their dogs and cats, went with them on their vacations and other trips.  My word, we followed some of them over 20 years.  We're not robots with no feelings.  

Just because all companies sever their relationship with employees this way doesn't make it ethical.  

Of course, I'm concerned about the other 395 people, but do we know who they are? I don't.