Honored Contributor

I know there is another thread about Valerie and Rick together. I was able to watch the last half of their show, and I agree with posters on that thread that they are perfect together! 

I like how they introduced Betty, who runs Valerie's social media, too. 

I've been wondering why vendors and hosts haven't hugged each other. I know a lot of you disagree with this practice anyway, and in these times we do have to be careful. But I'm a hugger in general! I've seen hosts and vendors who have been close through the years and it seems like it would be OK for them to hug spontaneously. Sometimes it has looked awkward to me when they haven't hugged!

So Valerie and Rick spontaneously hugged at the end of the show. They had been talking about the boxes and memories. And they both got emotional- which is understandable and fine with me.

Then Rick said something like, "We broke the no hug rule - on camera." 

I guess maybe in a large operation like QVC it is needed. 

What do you all think about this? Do you think there should be a rule for this? Smiley Frustrated

Respected Contributor

i have heard several state they still have distance rules, though not as extreme.   this includes no touching.

it will all be fine until it isn't.....

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Super Contributor

Re: “The Hug Rule”

[ Edited ]

I think eventually they'll get back to hugging. A few years ago I thought all the hugging was being overdone so I don't really miss it. I do love the vendors back in the studio!

edited to add; I was reading the replies to this thread and got to thinking about it. I realized that I have visited my old workplace a few times over the last year (I'm retired retail) and I've hugged all my old coworkers every visit!  I knew I wasn't contagious of anything and honestly I was so happy to seem them all. Nothing bad came of it, just a lotta love.

Honored Contributor

Why should there ever be hugging , it is unprofessional.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

Re: “The Hug Rule”

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom I would hate to think of a world permanently without hugging. It's such a beautiful thing!  As you described what happened it seems really nice to me - geniune and I have no problem with it at all - will management have a problem with it?  I don't know.  I'm guessing not a problem with them either.

Regular Contributor
I love hugging and I think it's fine!
Honored Contributor

I suspect that it's a new QVC "rule" to try and be cautious as they bring people back in.  They need to get back to normal, but it appears that they're going slowly, which I think is a good idea.

I also suspect that the aforementioned hug between Valerie and Rick was purely spontaneous.  It appeared that Valerie was more or less the instigator, as I suspect she is a "hugger".  And she genuinely seemed to miss being with Rick as evidenced by her demeanor throughout the show.  I had seen her kind of lean in to an earlier host too.  I'm sure it was innocent on her part and what was Rick to do other than comply without making too big of a fuss about it.

I just hope that they never get back to all the phony hugging and kissing that went on before the pandemic.  That was one nice thing about being remote.

Honored Contributor

I read someplace that NY had abandoned its mask rule, distancing and PDA.  Maybe Rick and Pat thought they were in NY, not PA.

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Why should there ever be hugging , it is unprofessional.

@QVCkitty1    Are you kidding?  Hugging is the acceptable greeting for businessmen and sports heroes nowdays.  I never saw the like of the way men run around hugging each other.  In my world real men don't hug each other unless they're in the throes of extreme grief.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have never thought or wondered about this. I never knew anyone else did. I would say do what you want to do.