Trusted Contributor

I like Mary Beth and she is one of the few hosts I still will watch at times. At the same time, as I have said before, I do not know any of the hosts personally so I really do not know their true personalities.

Yes, Mary Beth comes across as "sweet"  and "nice" but anyone surviving in the job she has knows what has to be done to survive. She is aware that if she uses the personality she uses on QVC she will convince people to buy at the same time knows she has to "push" the sale to keep her job. That is her number 1 concern.

Esteemed Contributor

@Reever  I've heard the twenty dollar bill alert for quite a while, but actually pulling out a bill and waving it around is beyond the pale. I'm old enough to remember those panacea hawkers and am repulsed by that!

Trusted Contributor

I have always disliked this part of their selling spiel.  Add in the freight, add in the sales tax.  It is dishonest IMO.

Trusted Contributor

@ValuSkr  All of the seasoned hosts are on auto-pilot.  

Honored Contributor

I may have been listening to it since the '90's but it is just as slimy to me now as it was back then.  Reminds me of a "snake oil salesman,"  cures all ails.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@Reever  Look at it ths way.  Salesmen are paid to sell.  They're not paid to "treat customers with respect".  If you're not a fan of used car salesmen and carnival barkers, then you're really not a fan of ANY salesmen including the QVC salesmen masquerading as "Program Hosts".  They are all of the same genre.  They all have one goal in mind; convnce you to part with your hard-earned dollars.

Honored Contributor

yeah--am over that stupid phrase too, no matter who says it---

Honored Contributor

Same tired sales spiel to go with the same stale merchandise....QVC needs to do something about both...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Regular Contributor

Re: The $20 bill schtick

[ Edited ]

I saw through MB's "sweetness" schtick a long time ago.

Valued Contributor
Not a fan of Mary Beth's. She is too sweet. I agree, the hosts get stale and are on auto pilot. It must be hard for them to get excited about the products they have been selling for years.