Occasional Contributor

Thanksgiving is 4th Thursday

Please tell David that Thanksgiving is always the 4th Thursday of November. Twice he has said it’s the third Thursday of Nov and this year it is the 4th and so it’s late. It’s late this year because the 1st of the Month started on a Friday so the first Thursday was 6 days into the month.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving is 4th Thursday

Just heard him say that too - usually the 3rd Thursday........and I

looked up at the TV and to (self) said that doesn't sound right.  LOL  Oh well, the guys has been working long hours   (hmmm)

Honored Contributor

Thanksgiving should be moved back a couple of weeks.  

Honored Contributor

@Gdog2015 wrote:
Please tell David that Thanksgiving is always the 4th Thursday of November. Twice he has said it’s the third Thursday of Nov and this year it is the 4th and so it’s late. It’s late this year because the 1st of the Month started on a Friday so the first Thursday was 6 days into the month.

@Gdog2015   ....and clothing retailers are frantic because Christmas merchandise only has 3 weeks to move on out instead of 4.  By February, the spring clothes are in the warehouses waiting for space on the floor. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Thanksgiving should be moved back a couple of weeks.  

@Sooner   Uh, I have my freezer full of baked things and been thinking about my favorite foods for a month. I could eat a turkey dinner tomorrow. Yum!

Honored Contributor

@Gdog2015 wrote:

I always like it when its earlier in the month.  

Trusted Contributor

I almost posted exactly what you said because (shame on me) I hit "reply" before I read your post. But you are right. I like Thanksgiving no matter when it falls!

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@Gdog2015 wrote:

I always like it when its earlier in the month.  

Honored Contributor

The way it falls this year is the best for me.  Whenever it is later I get an earlier jump on Christmas shopping so I am not rushed.  One more gift and one more gift card is all I have left to buy.  Even all my Christmas ingredients except the perishables have been bought.  So much more relaxing to have it all behind me.  I do still need to wrap and put the tree up but that is always after stuffing my face on Thanksgiving.  I need pie to help me.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

I was at a play a couple of weeks ago and the woman behind me was talking about how Thanksgiving is always the 3rd Thursday and they moved it this year. I guess what is supposed to be "common knowledge" really isn't. People are making such a big deal about it being so late, which happens because the 1st is on a Friday, like it has never happned before. Given the way the calendar rotates, I am sure it has happened before and will happen again. And just who was supposed to have changed the day?????

Honored Contributor

@Lisa now in AZ wrote:

I was at a play a couple of weeks ago and the woman behind me was talking about how Thanksgiving is always the 3rd Thursday and they moved it this year. I guess what is supposed to be "common knowledge" really isn't. People are making such a big deal about it being so late, which happens because the 1st is on a Friday, like it has never happned before. Given the way the calendar rotates, I am sure it has happened before and will happen again. And just who was supposed to have changed the day?????

It would have been hard for me not to tell her maybe President Roosevelt came back and changed his mind when he made the final change to the holiday.  Some people like that woman never studied their Social Studies. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."