Honored Contributor

Re: TV does NOT add pounds..

Why does it matter?  No one is in charge of other people's opinions.  Don't sweat the small stuff.

Honored Contributor

I know tv does seem to add pounds.  Our local news and weather people look much heavier than they actually are.  I was surprised when I saw many of them in person.  One just had a baby and it looked like she was very heavy with a tummy but seeing her in person she was petite and thin and absolutely no tummy bulge.   The one weather guy looks short and pudgy and in person he is taller and leaner than he appears on tv.  So this is how I know this for a fact!   As well as a few friends who did take the Q tour and found the hosts not as big as they seemed on tv.  

Valued Contributor

I don’t know anything about the technical aspects of this but I do know for sure that being on tv does not create creased, bunched up material in the armpits, pulling across the back of jackets and tops and skin tight pants that leave nothing to the imagination. I don’t care how much a host weighs but I do wish they would wear clothes that FIT!

Respected Contributor

Nevergivesup--what a great post!

Respected Contributor

Camera does add pounds.  I have seen several actresses in person.  One in particular is Meryl Streep.  She is much thinner, smaller and much younger looking in person.  I was with a group of people and we all agreed.  The camera does not love Meryl Streep.  Also in photo's she appears more jowly - not the case in person.

Honored Contributor

Manipulate the camara while shooting??? Nah.... just look at the "before & after" shots of the models wearing Spanx and their necks and upper arms are magically reduced in the after shots as well as the "magic" Spanx making them look 20lbs thinner..... Woman WinkWoman Wink

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I have a round face...kind of full cheeks. Hated how I looked in selfies until my son, whose hobby is photography, showed me how to hold the phone above shooting downward...it really thins out my face. I don’t have to trash as many pics now. 

Trusted Contributor

There have been so many innovations in television since that old adage was popularized it may no longer be true.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Honored Contributor

Our church takes pictures of our volunteer of the month.  When they are displayed on the TV and on the screen in the sancuary it makes even the thinnest person look heavier.

When they did my picture it make me look huge.  I do believe when they enlarge the pixils for fit the screen it enlarges everything in the photo.

I am by far no tech expert but I think this happens on  TV too.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

I know tv does seem to add pounds.  Our local news and weather people look much heavier than they actually are.  I was surprised when I saw many of them in person.  One just had a baby and it looked like she was very heavy with a tummy but seeing her in person she was petite and thin and absolutely no tummy bulge.   The one weather guy looks short and pudgy and in person he is taller and leaner than he appears on tv.  So this is how I know this for a fact!   As well as a few friends who did take the Q tour and found the hosts not as big as they seemed on tv.  

I agree with @Pook

And I know this for a fact because I WAS on TV as a Spokesperson for a local organization.  I did many, MANY interviews for newscasts and local programming.  I DID look heavier...by a couple sizes!  Everyone noticed. 

I did NOT look heavier doing radio spots...tee hee!