Honored Contributor

Re: TV Personality

[ Edited ]

@stellabystarlight wrote:

Many of these hosts are actors and have hosted talk shows, acted in summer stock, or plays, have been in TV shows, etc. so, I guess you could call them "TV Personalities."  I remember reading that Monifa was in a few episodes of "Queen Sugar."  Shawn was on a show with Martha Stewart, Amy & Terri Conn have been on soap operas, Rick & Julia have studied and acted in Shakespearean plays, and many were newscasters, etc.

@stellabystarlight   Exactly.  They get hired because of that TV/movie experience, it has been in the resumes of several present and past QVC hosts.  They have to know how to "sell" themselves and play a role.  Qurate has stated in every investor call how the hosts are there to tell a story.

Look at Jill Bauer now on the Today Show several times.  Kerstin had bit parts in movies before turning to TV news.  Newer hire, Terri Conn, is a former soap opera actress.  Alberti has been in at least one movie, Katrina Szish was a contributing correspondent for several years for GMA, CBS, and ABC.  Rosina Grosso was an actress for Spanish language TV and at least one movie.  Former host Sharon Faetsh was an actress as well.  The list goes on and on.

Some hosts tell that product story better than others.  But if you think they are there to just give the product facts and move on, you are watching QVC in vain.  That is never what they are there to do.  

Some hosts may indeed get hung up on TV Personality as if it means they are famous.  But other hosts seem to do a much better job of not letting the term go to their head, and know their current gig is on a TV shopping network now.  

Super Contributor

And I am wondering why Terri and Amy are no longer on Soaps!!!!! HMMMMM...

Regular Contributor

That's my point! They are home shopping hosts NOW! Maybe they did come from other tv genres, but they are not doing that now. 
I am not going to argue the point, it just took me by surprise when she said it because I do not think of them as that.  We can agree to disagree!

Honored Contributor

Re: TV Personality

[ Edited ]

The PRODUCTS are and should be THE STAR and the PRIORITY---Qurate is a RETAIL company and  continuing declining sales show something isnt going right. Perhaps IT IS the fact the hosts put the emphasis on THEMSELVES instead of the merchandise that needs to be SOLD.!!!!....The Qurate Executives seem to be stuck on an idea that's past its prime.....

With the hosts now becoming "designers" (and I use the term losely) it seems like its just a cheaper version of celebrity products that the Q used to emphasize and that idea hasn't done very well---name some REAL CELEBRITY brands that are still going strong on QVC....🤔...I'll wait.... 

Now I agree the hosts need to show personality and certainly NOT be robots just reciting facts about the product, BUT there is a happy medium, and if Q's sales continue to decline then what will the future hold for Qurate!!!! Product demonstration is an area where QVC/Qurate has an advantage over brick and mortar and online retailers that just show a photo of the product...but QVC seems to use this as a DISADVANTAGE with too long and repetitve presentations and the same products shown over and over (like mattresses/beds/vacuums/electronics on almost every weekend!)

The Retail World is more competitive than ever and companies cant rest on their laurels just to make the job "fun" and entertaing so the hosts can have good time.....And if its supposed to make customes feel like "shopping with friends" so why arent sales up if this approach is so good for business....

"the host are your friends" might help retain their older customer base but they need to capture other customers ----and millenials and young busy moms isnt the customer base they should try to go after--those promos with the young woman in them are just "dream customers" that will never be reached---but they could still try to capture customers in their 40's and 50's and 60's.(established career women and early retirees)....but being a retailer of a SMALL 70 and up customer base isn't going to help them remain in business....JMHO....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@DiamondsandGold wrote:

@DiamondsandGold 

And some used to be TV newscasters and reporters and their careers in that field didnt last either...(one host that was let go by QVC, her QVC BIO showed all these numerous broadcasting jobs she had in her short career---that should have told QVC something and should have been a warning about hiring her!) 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@annie57. There are just some who are legends in their own minds.  Just look at that K/J family for instance.  Exactly what do they actually do????  

Esteemed Contributor

Earn billions and billions and billions of dinero.

Respected Contributor

@DiamondsandGold wrote:

Terri Conn had a long-running (10+ years), main character role on As the World Turns until that show went off the air. She followed her soap actor husband to another show, where she had a main character role for a couple more years. There are not nearly as many daytime soaps on the air these days as there used to be, so fewer show to which these actors can "jump" (which they frequently did). She was very successful in that genre. She had two children with her new husband starting in 2012 and has not really acted much since then.

I think when Amy was an aspiring actress she appeared in some small parts on soaps, but I can see no evidence that she worked there as extensively or as successfully as Terri Conn.

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@DiamondsandGold wrote:

@DiamondsandGold 

And some used to be TV newscasters and reporters and their careers in that field didnt last either...(one host that was let go by QVC, her QVC BIO showed all these numerous broadcasting jobs she had in her short career---that should have told QVC something and should have been a warning about hiring her!) 

@Spurt   The problem is that they make the show about them.  Take JT for example.  Everyone is sick of hearing about her Family, Her posing and her size small that she is in.   We are not stupid,  but we are being treated as if we are.  What it costs in shipping to return something, It is a turn off when you want details of the item,  not their Family or the Disney trips.  The product MUST BE FIRST and it is not.    With sales down and no changes, I don't see Q lasting.   Putting two hosts together for what??  I remember when everything was explained so well, but not anymore.  I remember when the product was the star of the show.  NOT THE HOST.

Respected Contributor

@jonbon wrote:
There are not nearly as many daytime soaps on the air these days as there used to be, so fewer show to which these actors can "jump" (which they frequently did).

Not to mention that all New York soaps stopped production by 2011. All daytime soaps remaining are produced in the Los Angeles area, so many NY actors went into theatre or other careers. A few elected to move to Los Angeles.