Honored Contributor

Re: THinking of getting rid of my land line

Until they come up with some way to have "extensions" on a cell phone, I'll keep my land line.  I know everytime I wanted to make or answer a call, it would be somewhere else.  They definitely have limitations. 

I have a recording on my line put there by my phone company (CenturyLink).   When a caller dials my number he gets a recording that says,  "this number does not accept sales calls.   If this is a sales call,  hang up now and add this number to your DNC list.   If it's not a sales call,  press 1" .  Only then does my phone ring.

I get maybe one ring from an unknown area code or sales person every two weeks.   It's practically eliminated a major annoyance.  I've never gotten the IRS call.

Call your phone company and see if they have anything that would help you.   If you answer all the calls you get,  you're asking for trouble

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

I will not get rid of my landline because I want the reverse 911. We got a reverse 911 call a couple of years ago and it save our lives.

I, too, cannot tolerate the robocalls. I got Nomorobo and loved it. The only downside was that it lets one ring come through. Last year I broke down and bought the CPR Call Blocker from Amazon. It is WONDERFUL. It comes preprogrammed with 5000 telemarketing callers and you can add up to 2000 more. I love it. It has a big red button and once you press that button, presto! changeO! those calls are blocked. I have handheld phones and when these guys call I can see the light on the phone but it doesn't ring through. It was absolutely worth the $99. I bought one for my DD and my BFF. They have really good customer service.

Trusted Contributor

I purchased the HSN - Panasonic phone that allows you to block the number permanently, it comes with a feature where once you block the number it can be set to not ring again.  I let the caller ring and if they don't leave a message or if I can see on the caller I'd that it is a bothersome number I block the number.

This phone was my best purchase, I like having a land line cause when I need 911 I don't want any delays.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am registered with Do Not Call.  It is a joke.  Nomore robo does not work on traditional copper land lines which is what I have.  As I said I do not answer these calls and block the numbers but new calls come in from different numbers daily.

Frequent Contributor

We get tons of robo calls on landline and recently I've been getting them on cell phone too. These people are very tricky as their number appears to be from my area code AND my same 3 digit (CO) number. This makes it appear as though it's a local person/company calling! It's not! I don't understand how they do this and it's so annoying. Since I've figured it out, I simply ignore call and they NEVER leave a message. Anyone else have this happen? And, no, the DO NOT CALL resgister does not work!  One type of call that especially irritates me (when I do feel like answering which is seldom) is actually a recording but it goes something like this "Hello! Hello! Are you there?" Then if you attempt to respond the voice just keeps talking. I've heard some of these calls are trying to get you to say "yes" so they can record your response to use later to somehow verify that you agreed to purchase something. Don't really understand how that would work nor have I ever actually heard of it happening to someone.

Esteemed Contributor

Do you have caller ID? Don't answer the phone if you don't know who is calling. I got rid of my landline a few years ago, however, I am getting plenty of unwanted calls on my cell phone.

Being listed with the DNC registries does nothing. I was on that list for years and reported plenty of calls to no avail.

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet  I don't understand why you would even consider giving up your land line when you have poor cell phone service in your house.  If you had an emergency you may not be able to get help.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

do not call registration is a joke! And prosecuting or stopping these calls is also not easy. I stil have a landline but I don't answer any calls from numbers i don't recognize.

Honored Contributor

When we moved across country five or so years ago, we kept putting off getting a land line.  We both have iPhones and use them a lot for everything and our service out here in the country is really good.....  but we're starting to get random calls from parts of the country we know no one would call from.  We don't answer those.  We also get messages now that are obviously sales, we don't answer those either.  Only problem is that we have to keep at least one iPhone on all night in case of emergency (our boys live here too)... and messages come in with a ding all night!

But I've been wondering if a land line wouldn't be a good thing as well. Before we moved we had one with an answering machine.  We never answered the phone unless we knew the caller.  We were on the Do Not Call List too (and yes, it's a joke)... but now I'm thinking maybe a land line..... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

When we moved across country five or so years ago, we kept putting off getting a land line.  We both have iPhones and use them a lot for everything and our service out here in the country is really good.....  but we're starting to get random calls from parts of the country we know no one would call from.  We don't answer those.  We also get messages now that are obviously sales, we don't answer those either.  Only problem is that we have to keep at least one iPhone on all night in case of emergency (our boys live here too)... and messages come in with a ding all night!

But I've been wondering if a land line wouldn't be a good thing as well. Before we moved we had one with an answering machine.  We never answered the phone unless we knew the caller.  We were on the Do Not Call List too (and yes, it's a joke)... but now I'm thinking maybe a land line..... 

@Q4u  I have my iPhone set up so that only calls from certain people can come through after 9:30 at night.  If you go into Settings, and then DoNot Disturb you can set up the allowed calls and the time to quit allowing other calls and messages.  That way you could get calls from your sons and not anyone you didn't want to hear from.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau