Honored Contributor

Re: THinking of getting rid of my land line

@Nicknack wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

When we moved across country five or so years ago, we kept putting off getting a land line.  We both have iPhones and use them a lot for everything and our service out here in the country is really good.....  but we're starting to get random calls from parts of the country we know no one would call from.  We don't answer those.  We also get messages now that are obviously sales, we don't answer those either.  Only problem is that we have to keep at least one iPhone on all night in case of emergency (our boys live here too)... and messages come in with a ding all night!

But I've been wondering if a land line wouldn't be a good thing as well. Before we moved we had one with an answering machine.  We never answered the phone unless we knew the caller.  We were on the Do Not Call List too (and yes, it's a joke)... but now I'm thinking maybe a land line..... 

@Q4u  I have my iPhone set up so that only calls from certain people can come through after 9:30 at night.  If you go into Settings, and then DoNot Disturb you can set up the allowed calls and the time to quit allowing other calls and messages.  That way you could get calls from your sons and not anyone you didn't want to hear from.

Thank you, however, it isn't the phone calls that come in that disturb us (we have that set).... it's the messages being sent at midnight or later about nonsense (*Beautiful Asian girls are waiting for you*) that "ding in" and disturb sleep.  If you know how to turn that off and still have your phone calls ring I'd love to know how to do that!  Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt, been there, done that😒.  I got someone's cell number who owed everyone on the planet.  I spent the first month calling back creditors telling them she no longer had the number.

I am in Canada.  I didn't want to change the number ... already had made many notifications done to change my personal number to this cell number.

Here, once a collection agency is advised the number doesn't belong to the debtor, they are not permitted to call again.  They update their settings and look elsewhere.  Took a bit of time, but I got it worked out.  Still ... PIA.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Perkup wrote:

I still have two landlines and a cell. One from DH who passed last year. His friends still call me on that line.  Lots and lots of robocalls, but I don't answer anymore if I see it's an 800 number of an unidentified call.  As many have said, the National Do Not Call list is almost a joke.  It does not work, period.  Renewing your number also does not work.  I do have a small recorder attached to my landlines that says, " Sorry. You have reached a phone that does not accept unidentified phone calls. Pleae call back when you're not ashamed to identify yourself."  This does seem to have some effect.

Yesterday mornng, however, I got one of those calls at 6:15 in the morning.  This is getting out of hand. But I refuse to give up my convenience because of pesky nusiance, dishonest "people" and scammers.

@Perkup

two-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif

@Spurt@Perkup, hilarious😁!

Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

When we moved across country five or so years ago, we kept putting off getting a land line.  We both have iPhones and use them a lot for everything and our service out here in the country is really good.....  but we're starting to get random calls from parts of the country we know no one would call from.  We don't answer those.  We also get messages now that are obviously sales, we don't answer those either.  Only problem is that we have to keep at least one iPhone on all night in case of emergency (our boys live here too)... and messages come in with a ding all night!

But I've been wondering if a land line wouldn't be a good thing as well. Before we moved we had one with an answering machine.  We never answered the phone unless we knew the caller.  We were on the Do Not Call List too (and yes, it's a joke)... but now I'm thinking maybe a land line..... 

@Q4u  I have my iPhone set up so that only calls from certain people can come through after 9:30 at night.  If you go into Settings, and then DoNot Disturb you can set up the allowed calls and the time to quit allowing other calls and messages.  That way you could get calls from your sons and not anyone you didn't want to hear from.

Thank you, however, it isn't the phone calls that come in that disturb us (we have that set).... it's the messages being sent at midnight or later about nonsense (*Beautiful Asian girls are waiting for you*) that "ding in" and disturb sleep.  If you know how to turn that off and still have your phone calls ring I'd love to know how to do that!  Woman Happy

@Q4u   I understood what you meant although I realize that's not how I put it.  I believe the Do Not Disturb feature works for phone calls and messages both.  I just Googled it and in Apple's questions and answers it says the text will still come through but you will not get a notification about it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Seriously, it could be that not enough people are complaining to the right people/agencies/whatever across the country.  We are always complaining here, but probably not to where it might at least be adressed.  I'll bet that if a national survey were taken, probably 90% of the people would want to banish scam telemarketing.    I often think of writing to W DC, but never have.  But, looking back, someone on these threads, a couple of years ago, said that the Feds (allegedly) already gave approval to providers to ban scam telemarketers, but nothing has happened. Probably not enough demand from us, the customers.       

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

I have always been hesitant to disconnect from my land line because the service inside my house is on my cell phone is not great.  I usually have to go out to my screened porch to get a clear connection on my cell which is not great in the winter.

However I am getting more and more irate at the constant barrage of telemarketing calls I receive.  IMwould say 90% of my incoming calls are from places where I know not a single soul or from unknown caller.  I do not answer and they never leave a message of course.  I do add them to my blocked call list but they keep on coming and it is irritating at the very least.  THe thing that is really eating at me is that I pay Verizon a fee for my home phone every month so that these annoying calls can come through.  I feel,strongly that the service providers for landlines could and should do a lot more to prevent these calls from coming through.  THe FTC has passed or is considering regulations to allow the phone companies to block these sort of robo dialing marketing calls and I am sure the phone companies have the technology to do that.  I am just tired of paying for a service which is more irritating then of any real benefit to me.

It is very annoying, but if I disconnect my house phone, How will I find my cell when I lose it.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

@Q4u   I understood what you meant although I realize that's not how I put it.  I believe the Do Not Disturb feature works for phone calls and messages both.  I just Googled it and in Apple's questions and answers it says the text will still come through but you will not get a notification about it.

Cool! Thanks~!!  I'll go check it out and do it!  Woman LOL 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*