Super Contributor

Synchrony Bank cancelled my account!

I received a very short, sharp letter from Synchrony Bank this week saying 'due to too many payments not being honoured', they have cancelled my account.

I lost my husband in February last year and he had several purchases on my account, with his credit card.  When I realised the payment had not gone through, because I had cancelled his credit after he died, I changed the payments to my credit card (a Q card).  
I thought the payments had been rectified at that point.  I haven't called them yet, but I intend to do so.  because the letter was so curt, I may cancel my account with QVC completely.  I've been a customer since 1989.

Has anyone else received a notice like this, and how did you resolve the problem? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Synchrony Bank cancelled my account!

@CABRIT QVC has nothing to do with the bank card. At all. Were you not keeping track of the payments? I know after the death of a spouse there is a lot to handle (been there, done that) and you may have missed something, but don't blame QVC. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CABRIT   I don't have a Q card.  However, when my bank card expiration date was up and I was awaiting my new card, I called to let them know that I'd call as soon as my new card came because I had a few payments coming out.  I told the CS rep that I may decide to get a Q card in the future and I didn't want it to look like I didn't make my payment.  She told me to be sure I called back as soon as the new card arrived because they do look at stuff like this.  So, I took that to mean that they were probably pretty strict about their Q card.

I am sorry that this happened to you.  I can see how you would've figured the payments would've been taken from your Q card.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CABRIT wrote:

I received a very short, sharp letter from Synchrony Bank this week saying 'due to too many payments not being honoured', they have cancelled my account.

I lost my husband in February last year and he had several purchases on my account, with his credit card.  When I realised the payment had not gone through, because I had cancelled his credit after he died, I changed the payments to my credit card (a Q card).  
I thought the payments had been rectified at that point.  I haven't called them yet, but I intend to do so.  because the letter was so curt, I may cancel my account with QVC completely.  I've been a customer since 1989.

Has anyone else received a notice like this, and how did you resolve the problem? 

I had a very difficult time Synchrony Bank.

My dear sister had an account with them, she used it exclusively for QVC. She paid everything off at the end of the month, as was her custom, she was never late or carried over a balance.

Dear sister paid off her account while she was in the hospital.

She passed away in June of last year.

She started getting statements with a balance of less than $75.00. Eveidently when she paid off her account there was a charge which hadn't been processed.

I called Synchrony with the intention of using my debit card to pay it off. I talked to so many customer service people in India and was told they wouldn't allow me to pay it off.

Each month there was a bigger balance, even after I told them she had passed away.

She would be mortified to have a late charge or a ding.

I wa s able to get to their website where there is an area to report a death of an account holder, and possibly speak with someone in the US, which I did. Same story I couldn't pay it off.

I finally gave up. They stopped sending letters two months ago.

When you report a death with a death certificate to Social Security they report it to financial institutions, which is what happened. My sister's bank locked her account within four days of my reporting her death to SS.

I wish I could help you, Synchrony Bank is difficult.

I make it a point to never have a credit card with any store, which is what QVC is.

Honored Contributor

@CABRIT,

What a nightmare. I've heard similar about Synchrony bank

unfortunately.

Many retailers are using that card when you open an account at their store. Walmart, Lowes, QVC. I don't know why.

I hope you get it resolved. Speak to a supervisor.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

Seems like some follow up to the bank was not taken and payments went missed after the card was canceled. This isn't QVC's fault.

Honored Contributor

Do call Synchrony and explain what happened.  I know things can get neglected and mixed up when a spouse dies.  It happened to me with an account (not Synchrony).  I called and explained the situation and everything was taken care of promptly.  If you are a customer in good standing and have paid your bills promptly over the years, they may well do the same for you. 

I do agree with the others that say this has nothing to do with QVC itself, so the blame is not on them.  But again, if you choose to no longer do business with them, that's your choice.

My condolences on the loss of your husband.  It's tough.💔

Honored Contributor

My suggestion...be happy that card is cancelled.  Don't be lured into store credit cards offering money to sign up.  If store credit cards were so good, they wouldn't need to push the card so hard and offer up to $60!!!!

Neiman Marcus dropped Synchrony because of how they handled their customers' accounts.  

From your explanation, I can see, though, how you got into this mess.  I think you should have kept your husband's card open until everything was paid. 

Also, don't let anyone else use your QVC account even if the person is a family member.  

Honored Contributor

This bank informed me---about them closing my AMZ store card because I  not used it in a few years---had never had a bank do that before. Have had that card for at least 10 years. They seem to either love you or hate you for having one of their cards. 

Honored Contributor

@AlsaceGal.  I don't see where Synvchrony Bank was being difficult in your case.  I believe, according to banking law, it's illegal to pay a credit card off with another credit card.  Why didn't you just send them a check?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment