Esteemed Contributor

Suzanne Somers is suing QVC alleging that QVC intended to remove her as a competitor in dietary supplements sold on home shopping networks.

The Bloomberg article is behind a paywall but the actual legal documents are not behind a paywall and you can read it all.

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/mergers-and-antitrust/suzanne-somers-sues-qvc-alleging-dietary-supplem...

Read the civil complaint legal document on Bloomberg Law:

https://www.bloomberglaw.com/public/desktop/document/SOMERSetalvQVCINCDocketNo219cv04773EDPaOct15201...

What's interesting is the timeline as the allegations took place in 2017 before the official QVC and HSN merger was announced in the summer of 2017. QVC approached Suzanne to sell supplements on QVC in February 2017.

Read the documents for the dish!

It will be interesting to see how this case turns out!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

On what basis does she clai m that Q wanted to displace her?.....if they tried to get her to sell on Q, then that doesn't make sense to me. Can somebody clarify?

Respected Contributor

@TY   I must be bored because I scanned the lawsuit attachment.  I found it interesting that one of the gripes is that they paired her with "first time" hosts.

It will be interesting how it turns out, I'm sure QVC will  probably just settle.  I can see how vendors take a huge risk in signing an exclusive deal with QVC if they reserve the right to cancel purchase orders, delay product returns until near expiration date, etc.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Trusted Contributor

Good for her.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Goldengate8361 

The allegations is that when QVC entered into a purchase agreement with Suzanne, that they didn't really intend to go through with a deal with her -- at the time QVC didn't sell dietary supplements, only HSN and Evine did. With Suzanne out of the picture, HSN's vendor would basically be the only dietary supplement sold on tv shopping.

Trusted Contributor

She is suing for fraud and antitrust violations. Considering where she filed the lawsuit .... good luck to her. Doubt any settlement ...... Doubt she'll win.

Esteemed Contributor

I do not believe she should win. Home shopping is not a closed marketplace. Even if Q did, in fact, decide to not offer her products, the marketplace is much broader.

Trusted Contributor

TY1 ..... I don't think Bloomberg Law let's you read it unless you register with them. Just to let people know.

Honored Contributor

She is suing for $150,000...why bother?

Trusted Contributor

$150,000I ..... I would think the lawfirm she hired would cost more than that ..... agree, why bother. Makes you wonder what she really is after. BTW ..... She had a birthday this week (73?) and posted a picture of herself in her birthday suit (behind a bush). Sheesh!