Contributor

Susan Graver (not your usual Thursday rant)

This is about her clothing lines in general. She has so much going on, her clothes have no distinguishing "identity." It seems like she is trying to be D&C, Sports Savvy, Motto, Dialogue, CitiKnits, Quacker; as if she's trying to be all things to all people. And the result of spreading one's self too thin is mediocrity and alienation of potential buyers and audience. She does casual wear, then she tries to do career wear, then tries to stick something dressy in there.

As a result, she appeals to no one. People looking for career wear look elsewhere because she's not known for that. People seeking casual wear go to Sport Savvy. Sportswear and casual wear customers look to D&C. Stylish and "younger" gals look to Motto. Knitwear people go to Simonton and Citiknits. These brands have identity and people generally know what to expect. Ditto with the costume jewelry and accessories. It's as though she's morphing into Mizrahi. What's next with her? Shoes? Home decor?

When Graver tries to do all these things, it's hit and miss because people are dubious about the quality, sizing, fit issues and they're just plain CONFUSED. And her items are quite pricey. Too much of a price to pay for something that looks like Penneys or Kohl's or TJ Maxx.

Yes, lots of people like her clothes, maybe they've found part of her lines that they're comfortable with, but to me all of the stuff she throws at us is just too much, like too little butter scraped over too much bread (Bilbo Baggins said this), and it turns me off. I might get something from her if it's on special and it's DIRT DIRT DIRT cheap, but paying $30 for garden-variety T-shirt doesn't do much for me.