Super Contributor

Suggestions for keeping black black

[ Edited ]

I wear black pants for my job  demon & co a favorite. My problem is keeping them dark and black.  I have tried vin agar, cold water, those degerants for dark colts. Nothing working. Oh and washing inside out.   Suggestions

this is another topic but I will combine. I watch Diane G the other day. She had jeggings . Will they work for heavier legged gals?  I know reviews are good. I can't be only person out there that has this issue.

Honored Contributor

Re: Suggestions for keeping black black

I know you said that you tried "detergent for dark clothing", but did you try Woolite for darks? It works great for me, partially because it's so gentle, it doesn't pull the color out.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wash my black jeans on the gentle cycle in very little (a drop) or no detergent. 

Oh yes, in cold water and inside out.  Hang to dry.

Respected Contributor

"demon & co"  ?????  Very funny.

I suppose dry cleaning would protect the color, but who wants that expense?  As previously suggested, probably washing in cold with very little dark color product would help.  Be sure wash all dark colors together. 

Trusted Contributor

Maybe washing them inside out would help. 

Frequent Contributor

I agree with the others who've posted:  Wash in cold water, Woolite for darks, gentle cycle, inside out, hang to dry.

Other than that, you could try Ritz black dye but that can be messy.

Esteemed Contributor

Everyone is going to jump on me and say I am dirty or disgusting, but many times if I have a special  black something or other,I do NOT use any soap or detergent! I use only water.

(ok now for the nasty's.......lol )

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

Everyone is going to jump on me and say I am dirty or disgusting, but many times if I have a special  black something or other,I do NOT use any soap or detergent! I use only water.

(ok now for the nasty's.......lol )

There are those who say not to wash your jeans more than once or twice a year!  I don't think I could go that far, but it's the agitation that releases the dirt in clothing, not the detergent, so I don't see anything wrong with what you do.

I have black jeans that have lost a lot of color; others that seem to retain their color through repeated washings.  I think it comes down to the fabric and dye used in manufacture.

Honored Contributor

@crazered - the only thing I've ever read as a "fix" for dark dye is to soak the item in salt water before the first washing, then let it dry.  This fixes the dye and used to be more common years ago, when dyes weren't so colorfast.  Once the color has started to bleach out, I'm afraid there's no option but to re-dye.

Respected Contributor

Lol about demon & co.

Check the fabric composition of the black pants that fade.  Cotton will fade pretty readily.  Get 100% polyester if you don't want to deal with fading.

I do realize not everyone wants to wear polyester I myself don't love it, but it won't fade!