Honored Contributor

Suggestions for gift recepients...............

Now it just isn't the girl that does your nails, the one who walks your dog, your neighbor who picks up your mail------Rachel suggested the other day that you give an item from a Philosophy set (forget  if it was small shower gel or lip item) to the "person you nod to in the elevator."   We have another month or so of this.    Good thing I don't watch as often as I did years ago.

Honored Contributor

Re: Suggestions for gift recepients...............

Yes that whole spiel is ridiculous. And anyway, people who you tip at the holidays want cash.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

Still laughing at that new suggested member of the gift list. Sublime!

what about:

person whose grocery cart you bumped into in the soup aisle?

person who gave you 4 quarters for your dollar at the parking meter?

person who held the door when you carried out a large pizza to bring home two weeks ago.

person who put the July 2015 issue of People magazine back on the rack in the medical office so you were able to read it while in the waiting room. 

@Daysdee, I can’t thank you enough for the laugh. I hope others will list more hypothetical recipients we should be shopping for.  This can get pretty silly.  ( I’m rarely in elevators, but if I’m in one any time soon or before Christmas, I’m not doing any nodding...)

Respected Contributor

It is a marketing plan to just have them list off different people that might "trigger" you to buy a present for someone that you might not have or been thinking about buying for. I say only give presents to people you really want to get something for. But it is amazing how powerful the power of suggestion is and that is what they are counting on to sell a lot more products.

Honored Contributor

And I think I'll add:

maybe a flashlight for the "stupid" lady who is on a walker can barely stand and she decides at 6:15 pm everynight to walk the dog around the block!!  Oh I might add she wears all BLACK and its dark -- 

i think the miners style flashlight or a LED flashlight might be the perfect gift for her before she gets RUN OVER by the UPS guy!! or someone else!!!

Respected Contributor

It’s kinda funny, isn’t it?

Respected Contributor

I just had a discussion with someone who said they absolutely hated Christmas because of the shopping pressure.  When questioned about details, it appears he was purchasing small gifts for neighbors and people he had a casual relationship with. OMG! I convinced him he was actually creating an awkward situation with others by doing this.  He never thought of it that way.   

Honored Contributor

Yesterday David and a vendor were selling some type of "ties" to tie around long cords, etc.  They mentioned these would make good gifts and then kind of tried to back out of the statement and then  David seemed to agree it would be good for some and that he really need them in his garage.  There were several in different sizes in the set and I'm sure they must have been at least $19.99 plus shipping and tax.   May be good for organizing, but I wouldn't give the set (or one or two) as a gift.  Really don't think this item has a lot of use for some people.