Trusted Contributor

Re: *** Suggestions and concerns about the moderation of QVC Community forums ***

Honored Contributor

Re: *** Suggestions and concerns about the moderation of QVC Community forums ***

On 9/16/2014 suzyQ3 said:

dooBdoo knows I love her. Smile So I know she'll understand what I'm going to say.

My friend, you have a good heart and always good intentions. But when someone starts a thread like this, it opens up, yet again, an avenue for people to vent. Now, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

But I've been around here long enough know that some of that venting is veiled jabs at posters whom they believe have somehow wronged them. Whether it's true or not is invariably up for personal interpretation. Threads like this too easily devolve into the continuance of grudgefests and old battles. And I see a little of that creeping in already.

Also, I see that some don't approve when a couple posters politely take a somewhat different POV about this topic than most others here. But I'm sure that you, dooBdoo, would be the first to welcome all opinions. You know that threads have a mind of their own. Wink

My opinion is that the chance of this going south in terms of rehashing past problems or potentially creating new ones among posters is far greater than the chance that QVC will make any modifications based on this thread.

Hi, suzyQ! Thanks, and you know I love you, right back atcha!Smile Great comments. Whenever I consider starting a thread (and again my threads are about as rare as a unicorn sighting) I do it knowing it has potential to tank. Even if the subject was the unicorn sighting.{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

You're probably right, nothing will come of this as far as moderators making changes. But I do like seeing all the opinions, and at least some of us got the chance to vent a little.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

On 9/16/2014 LipstickDiva said:
On 9/16/2014 ical said:
On 9/16/2014 dooBdoo said:
On 9/16/2014 ical said:

In numerous threads across the forums, posters are reporting their concerns about the moderation of the community and the application of the Standards for Participation . Some are uneasy about the potential changes announced after the recent survey, while others welcome a change.

(snip)

Um? Huh? Where are you reading these "numerous threads across forums"??

Links, please.

Also, why are you posting this? Just wondering…{#emotions_dlg.huh} Considering they have moderators. Are you a moderator or applying? {#emotions_dlg.blink}

Hi, ical!

Here's the thread that prompted this one. There have been others, but I don't keep track of them.

Deleting all opinions QVC.... Why?

I'm sorry if you're unhappy with this thread, but it's not against the standards and I was hoping it would be helpful. As you know, any of us are allowed to post threads and comments, and I think that's a good thing. I seldom start new threads, gave it careful thought before launching this one, and I'm guessing those uninterested will pass it by.

Thanks for you post.Smile

It is their website (their being QVC). They have the right to delete anything they choose. No one's writing War & Peace here, so what is the big deal? This is not a child's website. If some posters go over the line, then they are lucky they are not banned, imo,

And I'm betting you would have been the first one screaming had QVC decided to delete all your Joan posts though.

Silly comment. Considering this entire site and everything posted on it belongs to QVC. I post my stuff at my site.

Respected Contributor

You know what amazes the most about this thread, the number of us that are home an a Tuesday afternoon, not working. Smile

Don't worry, be Happy!
Honored Contributor

On 9/16/2014 Ford1224 said:

1. In the responses to the Community Forum Survey, I see a lot of posts regarding long-standing threads. I have no objection to long standing threads and don’t know why so much attention has been directed to what has been, to date, a total non-issue on the QVC BB. If one doesn’t participate in them, just don’t open them. These posters are friends and should not be deprived of the way they keep their friendships ongoing.

2. I made a suggestion that a separate forum be created for Long Standing Threads . . . obviously call it what you will. Just move these threads over there and they won’t show up on the daily listings. The regular posters can then automatically attach themselves to their forum, which makes it easier for them. Or do nothing . . . it’s fine the way it is.

3. As to threads that turn “nasty,” take the time to delete the nasty posts and leave the thread, which might otherwise be a very informative and interesting one . . . alone. Some posters, unfortunately, will deliberately sabotage a thread they don’t like. Don’t let that happen. You are monitors, so “monitor.”

4. Take the time to keep track of the habitual nasty posters (“trolls”) and warn them that their behavior is putting them in jeopardy. Also make it personal so that these posters know what their offenses are. If they continue, then banning them temporarily, or threatening to ban them permanently if they continue their actions, makes sense. It’s ludicrous to ban someone out of the blue with no explanation as to why why they were banned.

5. Do not have a “boiler plate” warning when banning someone. It is insulting and egregious to automatically cite behavior that the poster has never exhibited. If you are banning them, tell them specifically why. This serious step is not the place to cut corners . . . make it personal. It has the added advantage of educating the poster that their specific post should not be repeated. If they ignore that, then proceed with your threatening warnings.

6. Keep in mind that most of us are long standing members of your BB and have invested a lot of time, thoughts, and energy into helping others. There are many posts in the Electronics Forum, the Health & Wellness Forum (and you should change that sub-heading name back to Health & Wellness, since saying Health & Fitness both in the heading and sub-heading is redundant), and other forums where real support is available. Sports should be totally separated from this category.

7. I say all of this because we are not only the backbone of the BB, but we are purchasers of your products. If the BB is too small for you to consider our little group and to give us credit for sticking with you as a company and as BB members for so many years then perhaps you should consider abandoning the BB altogether. Most of us are mature adults, with educations, knowledge, intelligence, empathy and can help others on the BB in many different ways. There are also times when we need help, and we can look to the forums for advice, caring and counsel. No, it’s not the same as “Google,” it’s more of a therapy group and helps many of us in our daily lives. We ask respect for that. It can also be a heck of a lot of fun.

8. The mistakes made lately are indiscriminate poofing of innocuous and harmless threads, and we look to each other and say “why was that poofed?” On the other hand, there are threads that are just the opposite that just sit there day after day, helpful to no one, interesting to no one. It makes us wonder just what is an acceptable post, what is an acceptable dialogue? Banning too many social and significant topics gives us nothing to talk about.

9. Also give us a sophisticated list of your constantly updated disallowed words, some of which are totally ridiculous and which I can’t name because it will prevent this from posting. Again, give us credit for our wisdom, maturity, and intelligence. We are not teenagers.

10. In short, your changes have only confused us more. We are not benefiting from them. And good posters are leaving out of sheer frustration. We would also like to know who the web monitors are and if they actually understand our culture and society, because sometimes it seems they are totally clueless. This BB used to be much better and can be again.

These are great, Ford! In light of the fleeting nature of threads, did you consider sending that to the community team's email address? The optimist in me wants to think they might at least read it.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

dooBdoo knows I love her. Smile So I know she'll understand what I'm going to say.

My friend, you have a good heart and always good intentions. But when someone starts a thread like this, it opens up, yet again, an avenue for people to vent. Now, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

But I've been around here long enough know that some of that venting is veiled jabs at posters whom they believe have somehow wronged them. Whether it's true or not is invariably up for personal interpretation. Threads like this too easily devolve into the continuance of grudgefests and old battles. And I see a little of that creeping in already.

Also, I see that some don't approve when a couple posters politely take a somewhat different POV about this topic than most others here. But I'm sure that you, dooBdoo, would be the first to welcome all opinions. You know that threads have a mind of their own. Wink

My opinion is that the chance of this going south in terms of rehashing past problems or potentially creating new ones among posters is far greater than the chance that QVC will make any modifications based on this thread.

Hi, suzyQ! Thanks, and you know I love you, right back atcha!Smile Great comments. Whenever I consider starting a thread (and again my threads are about as rare as a unicorn sighting) I do it knowing it has potential to tank. Even if the subject was the unicorn sighting.{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

You're probably right, nothing will come of this as far as moderators making changes. But I do like seeing all the opinions, and at least some of us got the chance to vent a little.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Still, I am sorry that your thread already ended up like this. You've been so sweet and patient, and yet there are still some that are trying with all their might to ruin your thread. Still, it was a good try. Smile

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Honored Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

You're both the best! I can always expect to see smart, level-headed replies and ideas for each of you.

I'd agree that the dooB is always well-meaning and tries to help people whenever she can, even if it means doing their research for them. Unfortunately, on this board, practically everything seems to go south. As for moderating - it must be a daunting job for this board! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

On 9/16/2014 baddest_dog said:
On 9/16/2014 baddest_dog said:

I just saw the other thread and now understand why you started this one. But, in all honesty OP, you are actually doing something that does violate the standards. You got upset that another poster that you like was banned for a day so you took the "meat" of that thread and brought it over here to find out how others feel. Really, I know you have lots of support on the BB and I have none, but the poster in question is just as opinionated as I am and she gets lots of people to support her. Which kind of in the end, justifies my position in saying there is no equity on these boards.

They announced changes awhile ago, but now you want more discussion on it because your friend got temporarily banned?

Hi, baddest_dog! (love your nic!)

As you can see from my other comments, I didn't start this thread based upon one person's experience. I won't cut-and-paste, but you can read what I wrote if you're interested.

I think it's a useful conversation and as I said I'm fully aware the moderator will take their cyber scissors and snip this thread if need be.{#emotions_dlg.scared}

And, by the way, you have my support for what it's worth. Thanks for your comments!Smile

I do think that all forums should have moderation to prevent cruel attacks. One poster said things to me like 'cry me a river" when I got my feelings hurt. That same person is still here being coddled by many others. Anyway who says something like that to another person when said person admits they got hurt, is not a good person.

But never mind that about me. What I'd like to say is that I would like a board where people can post honestly and truthfully. All people have opinions, none are going to be exactly the same on all topics, so why can't we state our opinions and then leave it at that. Why does there always have to be a need for someone who doesn't like your opinion to attack you for it? In m life, I have met many, many people of different cultures, races, religions everything. And, even though I may not follow or practice their ways, I have learned something from each and every one. I loved discussions in college or debates as we used to have back then when it was spirited and lively. It was interesting to always learn something new from someone else.

I'm so sorry you had that experience. I think all of us have learned people can be terribly cruel when they're behind the shield of internet anonymity. It's a shame, and the person who hurt you probably hasn't given it another thought.{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Your post is insightful, and I thank you for it. I love hearing all views from all backgrounds, too. One of my favorite quotes is: "I never learn anything new by surrounding myself with only those people who agree with me."

Respected Contributor

On 9/16/2014 NC Bandwagon said:

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Still, I am sorry that your thread already ended up like this. You've been so sweet and patient, and yet there are still some that are trying with all their might to ruin your thread. Still, it was a good try. Smile

It still is a good thing. We will keep it pleasant no matter what the naysayers try to do.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Super Contributor

IMO, excellent discussion. You all are making some very good points. Too many for me to quote or it would take up the whole page. To Kittymom - 2nd paragraph, post #40. Yes, me too. Thought it would be safe. As a long time customer, but new to the boards, I have been shocked by the responses to some of my comments. One in particular still hurts. So to iCal I would like to say thank you for reminding me to not take it personally. Post #35, paragraph 2. Well said! I will keep this in mind, and hope others will too.