Trusted Contributor

What is the thinking behind QVC's offering of products that don't come up to standards.  I read comments on these forums of customers receiving really what could be called sub par products after viewing them on t.v.  Yet QVC offers them.  Do they see the flaws in these products?  Do they hope enough people will accept them with grace?  Even if they don't and return them does QVC still make a profit in shipping costs?  To me its like some game they play where they try to fool some of the people some of the time.

Honored Contributor

I will say that poor quality is the rule of the day for most all things, not just what Q is selling. Old standards are gone, and almost anything made today isn't half as good as it's counterpart from a decade ago, which wasn't as good as it's counterpart two decades ago. One has to wonder just how much poorer quality the buying public will accept.

For Q in particular, it is frustrating because we found a number of high quality products a decade or so ago, and those are either still selling here, or brought back, and not nearly the quality of the past offerings (Supercloth, the Don Aslett door mats, Northern Nights sheets and blankets, are some things that come to mind). The quality control on some lines like Temp-tations has been just about non existent, and Q seems to keep on plugging away as though noting is amiss. The Q used to stand for Quality, but not so much these days.

Honored Contributor

I think it is like any other business...some products are great and others not so much.I also think a lot of the problem with quality control stems from the country of origin.We need to prepare to pay more for our things that can be manufactured at home with better standards.

Honored Contributor

True, quality in manufactured goods everywhere is not what it used to be.  I find, however, that QVC customers gripe more than most, probably because they have a forum to do so.  Things some complain about, I find perfectly acceptable.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

True, quality in manufactured goods everywhere is not what it used to be.  I find, however, that QVC customers gripe more than most, probably because they have a forum to do so.  Things some complain about, I find perfectly acceptable.

This is a very good point. We're here complaining and reading other complaints mostly limited to QVC because that's what we talk about on a QVC-centric forum. It's an echo chamber.

Hopping over to the Macy's Facebook page, the first things I see are complaints about service, delivery issues, prices, misleading sales, quality, and the website. Sound familiar?

I don't notice any difference in the quality of the products I buy from QVC versus those I buy anywhere else. Most of the time things are great, sometimes I get a dud.

Esteemed Contributor

Like Kachina said...how many times have you read reviews...some will say its terrible..worst product i ever bought...and the next person will say how much they love it and so glad they made the purchase....

So quality and peoples perception varies from product to product...thats why the Q. continues to sell it...

The only time i question it....is when every review is a one or two...nothing higher...it seems that should be pulled from the selling floor...

Honored Contributor

QVC spoiled me with vendors like the late Joan Rivers who demanded quality.    Her costume jewelry is better quality & shipped in better packaging than QVC's fine jewelry.   

Now you get fine jewelry thrown in a zip top baggie.   Joan would have NEVER allowed that.

Vote with your shopping dollars.

@newlook456 wrote:

What is the thinking behind QVC's offering of products that don't come up to standards.  I read comments on these forums of customers receiving really what could be called sub par products after viewing them on t.v.  Yet QVC offers them.  Do they see the flaws in these products?  Do they hope enough people will accept them with grace?  Even if they don't and return them does QVC still make a profit in shipping costs?  To me its like some game they play where they try to fool some of the people some of the time.

Respected Contributor

In my mother's prime years the standard was to make a product that lasted years, if not a lifetime. I think this emphasis on quality has diminished as consumerism has surged. Now manufacturers rely on the profit in making disposable products. And it costs more to repair than to replace in many cases. Add in our consumer demand for constant innovation and ease of use (why push 2 buttons when you can push 1) and the mindset that we wait breathlessly for version 6.1, people seem to have less interest in keeping that gadget for 20 months, let alone for 20 years. All of this affects quality or its importance.

I can still find quality, but not often at a value price. Case in point, my CIJ purchases with the low price tags were junk for the most part. I am always learning lessons, lol. lt's too expensive due to the return policy for me to shop the low-price items and cherry pick the good from the shoddy. I won't repeat that mistake.

Trusted Contributor

Fiine jewelry thrown inside a baggy?????  I recently purchased 2 steel by design earrings as lunchtime specials.  The cost for each was about $9 or $10.  Each pair was put inside a small plastic "zipped" bag.  Each bag was then put inside a small velvet-type drawstring pouch, and that pouch was placed inside an individal box.

Respected Contributor

Profits