Regular Contributor

Re: Stop scaring people about "food shortages"

@Jake1316 wrote:

I've been with QVC from the beginning - and this is my first blog post.  I realize times are tough, and the hosts are under pressure to sell - but I am completely fed up with hosts during the food shows - which used to be my hands down favorite - urging people to buy because of shortages at the grocery store.  I realize certain food items are hard to come by - but during gourmet holiday this afternoon, the host tried to sell st clair mac and cheese by claiming that grocery stores are out of pasta.  Seriously???  QVC should make her apologize on air - and should be ashamed if they don't.

Now I understand a shopping network expects its staff to sell but I always think people need to be genuine when doing so. Things are a bit embellished to the point where certain indivuduals will have you believing we are in the U.S.S.R. in the early 80's when empty food shelves was the norm.

Trusted Contributor

@Rockycoast wrote:

I agree with the OP. There is No pasta shortage in my area.  I shop for some elderly friends North of us. No shortage there either. QVC/hosts will say anything to sell their wares...whether it is true or not.  Like you, food shows use to be my favorite. They haven't been for some time now, even before the pandemic.  Don't watch very many of them now. Can't stand the over exaggeration, over hyped, over priced, fake expression of paradise. They are ridiculous.

I live in an area close to where some of the hosts live. While you are entitled to dislike their views of " happiness" ("Find your happy" is being overdone for me too), believing that they are making up shortages to increase sales is not always fair. Unless you live in our area-- still deep red-- please do not make such comments.

Respected Contributor

I've ordered boxed pasta salad and Mac n cheese from my local stores and always get it. I have also received plain pasta a few times. No shortages I've seen.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Rockycoast wrote:

I agree with the OP. There is No pasta shortage in my area.  I shop for some elderly friends North of us. No shortage there either. QVC/hosts will say anything to sell their wares...whether it is true or not.  Like you, food shows use to be my favorite. They haven't been for some time now, even before the pandemic.  Don't watch very many of them now. Can't stand the over exaggeration, over hyped, over priced, fake expression of paradise. They are ridiculous.

You're very lucky to have fully stocked stores.  We see aisles half empty or totally empty here.    

Honored Contributor

There are indeed shortages in various areas of various things. And in my area, there might be something (beef) fully stocked one place and nothing in the store down the road, or fully stocked at a store on Monday, but on Wednesday, absolutely nothing in that category to be found. It's a hit and miss proposition on many things, in many places. 

If a customer gets 'scared' because a host on a shopping channels suggests buying from them, rather than taking chances with what they may or may not find in stores, then the issue is with the customer and their inability to process/cope with their reality and their needs, not someone who is being paid to sell, telling the truth on air to make a sale.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in the same state as the Q and we are being held hostage here by "Little Red Riding Hood's enemy".  I can tell you in the suburbs in my area, depending on what supermarket you go to, some food items are plentiful while other items are non-existent. I personally ordered several food items from the Q because going to the stores out here with taped arrows on the floor, PSA  announcements constantly on the speaker to stay 6 feet is becoming old and childish.  But my favorite spring/summer fashion accessory, the mask, is ridiculous.  The only thing I wish QVC would stop is that "we are practicing social distance".