Valued Contributor

Re: Stop scaring people about "food shortages"

[ Edited ]

Aldi's has plenty of flower and sugar for baking. They were light on meat products the other day.   But we have a store chain here called Sav A Lot, they have an on site butcher so their meats are fresh.  I score there all the time from chicken to ground beef to rib eye steaks.  Yesterday they had no limit on what you could purchase.  Prior they did have a limit of 2 maybe it depended on what they had in stock. 

Helen852
Esteemed Contributor

@Helen852 wrote:

Aldi's has plenty of flower and sugar for baking. They were light on meat products the other day.   But we have a store chain here called Sav A Lot, they have an on site butcher so their meats are fresh.  I score there all the time from chicken to ground beef to rib eye steaks.  Yesterday they had no limit on what you could purchase.  Prior they did have a limit of 2 maybe it depended on what they had in stock. 

I didn't know that you could bake with 🌺🌻🌼🌹🌸🌷flower.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous032819    Autocorrect. 

I'm sure it would be interesting.  Hope my snickerdoodles come out this weekend!  

While at Aldi's yesterday I picked up a cauliflower dip -- roasted peppers and chilis .... it's delicious.  Paired it with ritz veggie crisps.  If you like hummus, they have a variety package that is reasonable and also excellent.  

Helen852
Honored Contributor

@Jake1316I had shopped a whole lot the first few days of March because I was expecting company and I didn't shop again for several weeks, so I was stunned when the pasta shelves in the supermarket was nearly as barren of pasta as the dishwashing detergent shelves were empty of most brands and sizes of the various detergents.  Not as bad as the TP, but no choice and what was left was all 1.69/lb and up.   It's some better now, but nowhere near usual.

I've found what I will need for a while and what I have room to store -  so I'll continue to hope scientists continue their search for a vaccine and for treatment products as manufacturers race to catch up with demand,

In the meantime, I don't give the hosts any power to scare me -  way too many scarier people in this world, people who have real power to do me damage!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

To all: I'm embarrassed that a new poster is being ragged on in this manner. 

I don't see people ragging on OP. Some just don't agree. Just because she can find pasta (or anything), doesn't mean everyone else can.

Honored Contributor

The stores where I live are not out of pasta, at first rice was hard to find but pasta has been on shelves.  In fact yesterday Walmart looked normal, they had toilet paper and no one buying it.  Even meat department was full

Honored Contributor

We were limited to one 10 lb. bag of sugar at Costco.

Respected Contributor

I agree with the OP. There is No pasta shortage in my area.  I shop for some elderly friends North of us. No shortage there either. QVC/hosts will say anything to sell their wares...whether it is true or not.  Like you, food shows use to be my favorite. They haven't been for some time now, even before the pandemic.  Don't watch very many of them now. Can't stand the over exaggeration, over hyped, over priced, fake expression of paradise. They are ridiculous.

Valued Contributor

If your store is fully stocked, consider yourself blessed. It is not the same in every state, nor is it consistent within the same state. 

Same with the "you can order it online". Sure you can, if they deliver to your area.

For those of us doing grocery delivery and/or trying to stay out of as many stores as possible, even pickup at the store is not always an option. In my area there are still many items marked 
"for in store purchase only".....I've just recently started going anywhere, and right now it's just Walgreens when they first open in the morning on a weekend. I use Instacart for groceries.

Many don't feel comfortable going into several stores, trying to locate multiple items. As someone else said, yes there is food of some sort at every store....but there are also many items that are not to be found in your local area. Food-wise here we do not have rice (just plain old regular rice), pasta, canned soup, ground hamburger (new item not around this week, we had it before), and salad fixings (also new to the list). 

Also still lacking in paper products (toilet paper, paper towels) and cleaning products.

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@loriqvc wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ - And isn't it interesting that the OP is now encouraging people to buy online if there are food shortages in their local stores? That's pretty much what she's reprimanding QVC for doing...

@loriqvc  I know! LOL. I almost posted exactly what you said! 

Some people come here to post and discuss, and some  to only receive support and admiration.  And to argue.  And to stir the pot.  We have had several over the more than 25 years I have participated.