Valued Contributor

Re: Stares of horror because I shop at QVC

My family couldn't care less that I shop at QVC, HSN, Evine and other online retailers.  I know at least one of my sisters looks at QVC and told me about buying a big ticket item Serta mattress from them, which I then did myself 3 years ago (and made sure I told her about it).  

But my siblings mainly know me as an Amazon shopper for the last decade or more.  It has almost become a running joke amongst them (I am sure some of them shop Amazon now too).  Whenever I bring a gift/present and someone asks where I got it before I can even answer "amazon" a sibling, nephew, or niece will chirp up before me, lol.

Valued Contributor

When people ask where I bought something and I tell them QVC, they are surprised! They either forgot it existed, or didn't know it existed! haha!

Respected Contributor

I live in a small rural area between two towns--each with a mall ... as of today, all of the anchor stores of both malls has only one remaining. 

Now, QVC is all I have, and most people in my area are aware we only have QVC or on-line stores for shopping/gift buying.   

No one has ever displayed negativity about an item I purchased from the Q that I've worn -or- given to them as a gift.

Respected Contributor

People still think QVC offers junk.  

Respected Contributor

@gizmogal

I purchase a lot of Linea by Louis Dell Olio.  I always get compliments on his stuff.  I purchased a couple of seasons ago his embroidered baseball jacket in black.  I had people come up to me and compliment me on the jacket.  One person wanted to know where I purchased.  I told her and she was shocked.  But I also told her Louis Dell Olio is a two time Coty Award Winner.  She was very familiar with Louis. I told her to stalk the jacket on QVC under Linea by Louis Dell Olio.  She was grateful for the information. Hopefully she was able to purchase.

Honored Contributor

@seaBreeze wrote:

I live in a small rural area between two towns--each with a mall ... as of today, all of the anchor stores of both malls has only one remaining. 

Now, QVC is all I have, and most people in my area are aware we only have QVC or on-line stores for shopping/gift buying.   

No one has ever displayed negativity about an item I purchased from the Q that I've worn -or- given to them as a gift.

For me, the critical part of the post... There's no shame in shopping QVC but I'd not make the mistake of thinking that's all there is. Virtually every retailer now has a web presence and QVC is by no means the only game in town...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@culebra wrote:

People still think QVC offers junk.  

@culebra yes, that’s my experience too. Like all retailers, some of it is junk, but there are many quality item too. Unfortunately, if a new viewer tunes in now, the idea they sell junk is reinforced by the shrill voices, jabber talking, and “quick, get 2 before they are sold out” sales pitch.

Frequent Contributor

@Mary Bailey...maybe your friendthought it was a vibrator?  LOL

Respected Contributor

I don’t know anyone that snobby.

Years ago, a very well dressed co-worker often bought clothing items from the 5 and 10 cent store. Remember them?  She always told us where she bought things when we would compliment her. She had no problem telling and I don’t recall anyone looking down their noses.

Honored Contributor

Many of my friends/neighbors  shop at nigh-end stores even if they have to drive many miles to shop there.  Many shop Amazon too.  However, not QVC.   Regarding QVC attempting to get younger people to shop, that may be difficult if they are looking for a sweater or a gift and when they put the TV on they see 45 minutes of someone selling a vacuum or a cleaning item.   I don't think they want to sit through all that.  (Even I don't.)