Honored Contributor

Re: Stares of horror because I shop at QVC

I am asked quite often where I got my things.  Frankly I think it is a nosy and rude question, but it seems to be the norm.  Most have never bought from QVC or HSN.  Some do turn up their nose and others say they buy things there but have never tried their clothes.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

Qurate reports a total of about 11 million customers, HSN and QVC combined.

That's only a little over 3% of the population of the United States.

Not a really impressive penetration rate.

Respected Contributor

Three years ago when we took our 2 week trip to Italy with Tauck (not inexpensive by any means!),  I met a woman who complimented me on something and I quietly told her where I got it....  QVC.  She was so excited and told me about everything she purchases from QVC ....  our husbands both smiled.   However,  on the same trip there were several women who would not admit to purchasing at any store other than a Nordstrom's or specialty shop (and they were lovely people). 

I've bought from both.  If you find something you love, need or want.... who cares where it comes from!!!!!

Respected Contributor

I think it's weird that some people are horrified by a tv shopping channel. 

Esteemed Contributor

Depending upon who's the host and what they're selling, QVC can indeed by horrifying.

Respected Contributor

I have never been ashamed to tell people that I shop with OVC, and it never surprises me their aunt or some relative shops there too. Last week was in the hospital, and the girl doing my  ECHO, said who made your PJs, and then said My Mother and I shop at QVC all the time, and I got those PJs for Christmas in a different color.We love QVC. So do I. I get complimented on my outfits and jewelry everytime I go out, and I am in all QVC, except my shoes , and QVC doesn't carry my width.

Honored Contributor

I totally think there's a stigma!  TV addicts parked on the couch ordering creepy dolls and ceramic flowers.

I seldom tell people where I get things (they always want to know!!)  My answer, as someone else stated, is, "online."

Respected Contributor

I have gotten compliments also on QVC clothing purchases.  One of my best friends who shops at several upscale stores B & M as well as online, wants to know when I am going to the QVC Outlet store so she could go with me.   We never leave empty handed, lol.

I have gotten compliments on clothing and decor items from certain thrift shops I frequent.  Some of the best gifts have come from them...one recipient wanted to be a few more so she could give them as gifts.  Other shoppers are getting some of my best items !

The comments the original poster shared are more telling about the speaker and their prejudices.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@grandma r wrote:

Some women want to be fashion mavens or are just too uppity.  A woman came up to me years ago to inquire about the D&B Florentine bag I was carrying.  She said she had never seen this type at the mall.  I suggested she try QVC or even the brand website.  She seemed insulted, saying she only guys what she can examine.  Whatever!!!!!

@grandma r     Yes....uppity is a good discription.... I had a female boss who,  although  she and I got along great, she was so up in arms about buying clothes from Good Will.   She would always compliment my attire at work...I was the nicest dressed employee....little did she know that I was most days dressed head to toe GOODWILL😄.  I never told her....she thought Goodwill was dirty and disgusting.  

Respected Contributor

The majority of my wardrobe is from QVC, HSN, and Evine. When I tell people where I get my clothes, it's more disbelief than anything. Many people wouldn't think you can get nice fashion from a TV shopping channel. My mom and her sister-in-law have been buying from all three networks for years and got me on to buying there because they offer plus size and don't upcharge like many other online retailers do.

I'm not a fashion snob, I could give two you-know-whats about names and brands. Since the extremely high end designers don't even take my size into consideration anyway, I go to those who do design for bigger ladies.