Valued Contributor

Stares of horror because I shop at QVC

So several times now I've noticed people acting sheepish or appalled when I tell them I bought something from QVC.  I'm like, really?  I thought everyone considered home shopping just another way to shop.  But there seems to be a stigma still.

I know QVC is trying to win over Millenials or a younger clientele but I don't think they are making headway.  My close friends know I buy from QVC and HSN, they think it's a quirk of mine and sometimes they are impressed with my purchases but not enough to make it a "thing", not enough for them to shop here. 

Do you get weird looks when you say you shop at QVC?  

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

-Rumi
Honored Contributor

Re: Stares of horror because I shop at QVC

Yes, definite stigma.  I mostly try not to say where I buy anything.  My kids do not shop QVC nor do my friends and neighbors.   I take a class for senior citizens and never have seen anyone wear any QVC clothing and believe me I would recognize it if they did.  I have purchased since the early 90's.  Now for clothing Linea is all I buy. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes.  I showed my lipolaser tech the hair growth I was getting with Hair Max.  (it's great btw!!)  Her eyes got so big when I said I got it at QVC. Maybe she didn't even know what it is.

Super Contributor

That's ok. To paraphrase my Dad, more for us!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I find that some people never heard of QVC or HSN, but never have I received "stares of horror" because they find out where I got my item.  More often, they're a bit disappointed because they couldn't run out and buy a similar item on their own, since they don't watch (or aren't even aware of)  shopping channels.  Never felt a "stigma".

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hey @Northray  I'm retired now (last March) and when I was working I would often get complimented on the fashion jewelry or sterling jewelry I wore or handbags I carried.  When asked where I bought them I'd say QVC.  More often than not, coworkers were surprised that QVC sold such nice and cool things (if I have to say so myself). 

I'm a diehard JCP shopper since 1981 so I grew accustomed to folks having wrong opinions about  where I shop over the years.  

There are more QVC and HSN shoppers out there, believe me.  Why they don't fess up is beyond me - there is no shame in my shopping game.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

I’ve had the experience of a kind of sneer at my purchasing at QVC. Some gal once admired a nice look of jeans and an outerwear jacket I was wearing from Denim & Co. She  asked me the brand name or “label”.  I should have guessed a woman asking for the “label” was thinking a little more couture than QVC. But she sounded enthused or eager to find out where I bought my clothes.  So I told her it was a line called Denim & Co. and thanked her for the compliment.  She wanted to know where I found this clothing and I candidly told her QVC. Her face changed, the smile dropped, she remarked something along the lines of not knowing their cheap, poorly made clothing could look that good!  Added she wouldn’t ever buy from a TV seller!

So was that a compliment??  Surprised my nice-looking clothes came from QVC ?? I added that I buy clothes I like if the look suits me, if they fit and the price is acceptable, and she kind of backpedaled with “I guess if it works for you”. After a couple of similar snarky moments occasionally following a compliment, I became much more circumspect. 

Though I had simple dignity in the face of her rudeness on my side, I felt embarrassed.  I buy and wear a lot of D & Co pants and tops, and some Dennis Basso, too, and I get noticed, mostly because the fit happens to be great for me and their casual, sporty classics are often just my style. But if someone asks, I just say I bought it online. Even if I tell them the Denim & Co name of the clothing line, I do not include the QVC specifics, just leaving a vague reference to an online seller to not lie about any store selling it. 

I should not be self-conscious about saying I buy clothes at QVC, but it is not really well received for some reason.  I think QVC should not have a rep for a low quality, dowdy fashion, loser retail source, but even if it’s from a stranger in the supermarket, I seem to feel a bad vibe saying I’m a QVC customer.  

Meanwhile, what counts is that these snobs are admiring my clothes and my sense of style and saying so from time to time. So who’s getting gratified more, the wearer or the sneerer?

Respected Contributor

Yes, I'm amazed there are still people who think TV shopping is weird.  Yet, eventually many of them wind up purchasing.

Years ago my sister laughed at me for shopping at QVC.  Then, she ordered a laptop from them (it was her first order)!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I have received compliments on my older Dennis Basso faux fur coats. Unfortunately, they want to touch and pet my coat. 

Respected Contributor

i'm not so sure i get stares of horror, but i have seen looks of shock.  i am always amazed that people are so shocked that i buy online so much ... qvc, hsn, amazon, etc.      a lot of people are gun-shy about online shopping.