Esteemed Contributor

Re: Stares of horror because I shop at QVC

My kids do make fun of me and the gadgets I buy but iits all in fun.  I buy very little in the way of clothing on QVC except jeans since I found a size and brand I love.  Bought a beautiful Irish sweater from the Irish show and do buy cuddle duds for the convenience.  Although I am a very mature lady, I wouldn't be caught out of my house in most of the clothing they sell.  I'm not surprised that younger women are not interested in Logo and Susan Graver stuff. I also think Iassic has jumped the shark.   And if they are surfing and come across the poly stuff and rediculous logo it would turn them off.  My 30 something daughter laughs at them if she sees them while visiting.  I always check Amazon before purchasing because I get it in 2 days with no shipping and usually at a lesser price.  

Respected Contributor

My family and friends do not shop on QVC. They have liked some of my purchases.

Honored Contributor

I've been shopping here for about 12 years. I've been on vacation where I'm wearing something and someone will come up and ask me if I got it on QVC. I always feel like I've made a friend!

I find a lot here. I'm known for my unusual holiday gifts for the groups I belong too, and most of them come from here! I get a lot of other gifts here too. 

I've been shopping in the S and U makeup stores when an employee will tell me she's getting the TSV on QVC - and they carry the line at the store! But you can't always get the kits.

I DVR'd Valerie Parr Hill's show yesterday and noticed a young caller called in. She had toddlers and said her aunt introduced her to QVC.

DD gets some things here too. She is a millenial. She wears a lot of LOGO and looks cute in it. She also gets shoes and makeup. But she doesn't watch it. She will see the item on her phone and order that way. She got at least two of her friends shopping here too, the first time during a Barefoot Dreams TSV!

I can't see these girls sitting down to "watch" some of the younger QVC hosts. They just don't take the time to do that. They're used to Netflix and being able to watch what they want when THEY want to. I rely heavily on the videos that go along with an item.

My best friend knows I shop here. She's been here when the bags or boxes come. She has no interest. Most of her clothes come from Talbot's. That's OK. She is always complimenting me on something I'm wearing! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Most of my friends and many other people know that I shop a lot on QVC.  If someone new asks me where I've gotten something I'll mention Qvc and most of the time now I'll get a laugh not a horrified look!Smiley Happy

Years ago when I first started to buy from QVC however I used to be a bit embarrassed since it had negative connotations at the time...at least to me but I feel differently now.

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

I was surprised that many still do equate QVC with old women buying dolls, knick knacks and conservative boxy shapeless clothing.  My SO's daughter was in awe of all the skincare and makeup brands I used and started checking out QVC online and buying and told many of her friends also.  Many of my co workers liked what I was wearing and all the things I bought so they started shopping the shopping channels.  I think if the shopping channels advertised more info about some of the products they have they could get  many much  younger customers - especially with the skincare and makeup lines.  

@Pook . I think you're right!  When QVC first came on the air I remember thinking I would never shop there....it seemed like all you heard were old ladies calling in and the products were not something a stylish person would want. 

Things have changed a lot from those early days. The Q  has a lot of great products but they really don't advertise which could make a world of difference in recruting new customers.

Honored Contributor

@Northray wrote:

So several times now I've noticed people acting sheepish or appalled when I tell them I bought something from QVC.  I'm like, really?  I thought everyone considered home shopping just another way to shop.  But there seems to be a stigma still.

I know QVC is trying to win over Millenials or a younger clientele but I don't think they are making headway.  My close friends know I buy from QVC and HSN, they think it's a quirk of mine and sometimes they are impressed with my purchases but not enough to make it a "thing", not enough for them to shop here. 

Do you get weird looks when you say you shop at QVC?  

I always tell people where I get my clothes, jewelry etc.  I get many compliments on my Evine clothing.  In fact I have friends that have started ordering from Evine.  I have received coupons from Evine when My friends order.  No Stigma.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Daysdee  I agree, we have all these conveniences now -- shopping online, ordering groceries and having them delivered to your door.  I believe this is excellent service for all the baby boomers that are retired now.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Huh?  It has never occcured to me that someone would think it wierd to shop at QVC.  I have never had an experience like those posted.  I am very often complimented on what I am wearing and 9 x out of 10 it has come from QVC.  Of course, when asked where I got it, I say QVC - never had a bad reaction from anyone.

To me, it is just my normal place to shop and I didn't realize others think it strange.  Don't enjoy B&M shopping anymore (lack of quality, inconvenience, etc.)

I am really not an on-line shopper where you are only seeing a picture except for a few companies that I am familiar with from years of purchasing througth their catalogs before on-line shopping became the trend.   I prefer QVC.  If I don't actually see the item presented, I can go to the video and I am familiar enough with the brands to know if I am interested in purchasing the item.

I am probably one of the few shoppers who do not purchase from Amazon - have zero interest in it.

Contributor

I started shopping the Q and HSN about 2 years ago. I had to stay in bed and rest for a few months and I was bored. My daughter who was 28 at the time laughed at me at first for shopping on TV.  However, she really liked the clothes and non clothes items I bought.  Now, she isn't laughing anymore !

DD doesn't buy from TV shopping channels. She enjoys the "hunt" especially TJMAX and ROSS and also finding vintage clothes at Shops in Austin.  She shops online too but neverTV. 

Don't know what the Q and HSN can do to get the millenial customer to watch and buy. 

Contributor

@RipleyGirl You craked me up LOL !   Yup, I can hear my dad saying the same thing too.  You gave me my chuckle for the day.Smiley Happy