Honored Contributor

Re: Stares of horror because I shop at QVC

I totally love online shopping.  I needed a gardening supply and ordered it from Lowe's home improvement yesterday and it was on my porch before noon today.  Free shipping.  Why would I drive over to their store and walk around to find the item and if they even had it when it took me a couple of minutes to place the order and it's here.  I have a friend that works and has a husband and 4 kids and she won't shop online for fear of identity theft.  Others I know think all online shopping is ridiculous and won't do it.  I think it is a huge convenience and I'm happy it is available.    Also have a friend who is quite ill and shouldn't be in crowds, but she insists on going with her son to get groceries.  Now so many stores deliver for free or a small amount which to me would be worth it.

Respected Contributor

Since years ago you had to watch the channel to see what was available and order by phone, it was assumed QVC shoppers just sat on their behinds all day in a shopping fog while on their phones mindlessly ordering ceramic flowers, dolls, bears, and sequin sweaters. Many people still associate QVC with this concept of a shopping couch potato. I’ve seen the smirks and eye rolling if the subject of TV shopping comes up.

QVC is definitely the grandma channel for many younger folks, and once the mature shopper image is firmly fixed, it’s hard to shake. Even though I have gifted QVC cookware, Lug totes, L’Occtaine, frostguard, etc. to my kids and they love them, they never think to check the website. They don’t watch any shopping channels.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SunValley, I totally agree! I do occasionally get strange reactions if I tell people the item they're admiring was purchased from QVC. However, if I happen to say I bought the item at qvc.com, no one seems to bat an eye. Weird...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@loriqvc Exactly. Somehow ordering from QVC.com is normal but watching the live TV presentation turns one into a sloth. Both methods require staring into a screen, lol.

Honored Contributor

No one has reacted in such a shocking way, although those of us who talked about QVC at work were teased by those who shop B&M stores.

Regular Contributor

My dil and granddaughters will not buy from QVC, only Amazon

Honored Contributor

Yes, usually a shocked expression.  Doesn't bother me.  I do me, you do you.

Honored Contributor

I never mention where I shop or what I buy with anyone.  Only here on these forums.  If some asked I would just say ONLINE.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some women want to be fashion mavens or are just too uppity.  A woman came up to me years ago to inquire about the D&B Florentine bag I was carrying.  She said she had never seen this type at the mall.  I suggested she try QVC or even the brand website.  She seemed insulted, saying she only buys what she can examine.  Whatever!!!!!

Contributor

I think it's kind of funny when I buy things from QVC and my husband makes a comment. He then uses the product, regardless of knowing where I purchased it, and is pleased. It's my chance to be sarcastic. So, I bought him a little giant ladder accessory from QVC and it was delivered here. What's the difference in buying from Homedepot or Lowes? I don't have to shove the item in my car and carry it.