Respected Contributor

Re: Spinoff: What IS the focus of QVC now?

[ Edited ]

Qvc hasn't lost  it's focus....lol  Silliest thing I heard all day.  Qvc is a business a huge multinational business and their focus has always been to make a money.  That's why they exist.  I think one problem for people who pine for the Qvc of 1990 is that you have aged and you are now at that "everything was better in the 90's" stage of your lives.  You got stuck in a time warp....and you can't get ....lol   Like it or not, nothing stays the same forever.  It's true, Qvc doesn't offer the variety it once did.  They have limited their product lines to things that sell well.  But let's be realistic here a trip to Qvc.com offers more products in more catgeories by  more companies than a trip to any mall, any 50 malls.  Only Amazon beats Qvc.com in that respect.  And that's another factor, there are scores of items that NEVER make it to Qvc tv.  If you limit your Qvc experience to tv,  you are only seeing a small percentage of products.  I watch about 2-3 hours a week of Qvc tv.  If that.  Yet I shop for almost everything here, I have at least 3 packages a week  selivered to my house.  Just about all my clothing and shoes and handbags come from Qvc.  But not from what I see on Qvc tv,  I shop .com.  That's why I'm here now.  I couldn't sleep, I need a top for an upcoming party.  I'm shopping for one.  It would be pretty silly for me to park myelf in front of a tv and HOPE to see something cute that  is right for the occasion...lol   Why limit myself to a handful of items when the entire Qvc inventory is at my fingetips.  Qvc'c focus has not changed.  The problem is that many of you have NOT changed.  When it comes to the shopping experience, you are mentally living in 1995.  Of course you can't find what you are looking for....lol

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam not sure if it really does work, at least not for everyone. I used to enjoy watching QVC's presentations.  For the past several years, I stopped watching unless it was something of particular interest to me.  I don't find it appealing to see the same products over and over.  That's not how I shop retail when I shop other online vendors or at brick and mortar stores and being shouted at or having someone hyperventilating as part of the sales pitch results in the immediate changing of the channel.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam wrote:

I've been reading many threads about how QVC has lost its focus regarding what to sell. I found QVC due to visiting my parents and seeing it one night; a Diamonique show and the stuff was amazing at even more amazing prices. This was in 1994, maybe, and from that point on, QVC, to ME, was THE place to buy fake diamonds in gold that looked real for cheap. Eventually it became the place to buy jewelry but ShopNBC was THE place for rare gems/designer pieces and loose stones.

Joan Rivers added to the fantastic array of costume pieces with fabulous nail products.

Over time, I would hear people call it the place to buy "granny clothes".  "Oh, that's something you'd buy from QVC" said with a sneer. It was obvious that QVC was being used as a put-down when it came to a place to buy clothing (for whatever reason).

Currently, I see a huge glut of kitchen stuff, electronics and mattresses. Cosmetic wise, it's the same old same old and a few vendors appear to be THE ONES at the "Q" (same with clothes).

So, why? Why do you think? And before you say "money, honey. It's all about profit", we KNOW that.. that's the point of a business that sells something but... OTHER places sell an assortment so, WHY has QVC changed/limited so many products/format?

And what the HECK is up with they hyper host sale pitch???!!!!  QVC UK is just the opposite and fun to watch because it's..... calm.

@SahmIam  Hi! I and many other customers totally agree with you.......And the big question is, if QVC offers so many and such a great variety of products ONLINE, why can't they bring that SAME variety to the QVC air waves!!!!  I mean really the SAME 10 or 15 products over and over and over again (and yes to all the captain obvious out there---I DO FLIP RIGHT BY OR CHANGE THE CHANNEL---all I have to do is look at QVC's Program Guide to head off to another retailer to do my shopping, either online or locally).....and here's another million dollar question----WHY OH WHY does QVC chose products that are readily available locally----cheaper, no shipping, and no try me fee???? 

Yes oh yes @SahmIam  look at QVC UK and see the diversity of products that were once QVC USA......

And as far as "it must be working for them".....I've seen their sales go from  9%, then 7%, 5% and now it's down to 3% or 4% per quarter....and QVC seems to be looking towards their Q Card and it's exorbitant outrageous 27% interest rate to bring in the cash.......that along with the "try me fee" and other means to bring in revenue. Instead how about offering DIFFERENT products and concentrate on increases in actual merchandise sold---QVC might actually experience BIGGER revenues!!!!  If I already bought a Shark vacuum cleaner last month, why oh why would I tune in to see it all again weekend after weekend....regardless of a POTENTIAL audience, it's the ACTUAL audience that TUNES IN and stays TUNED IN that counts, rather than driving their tenured customers away!!!  That plus their quality on some items---things like clothes, shoes, and that outrageous $12 shipping on handbags which are shipped in the SAME lousy Q box all their other products are sent out in.....And I can find better deals at stores like Dillards so much CHEAPER, great quality, CONSISTENT sizing, and the material is NON-POLYESTER---QVC's clothes mostly fall in the $49 range and when you add shipping $53 or more for a simple top or blouse----so UNCOMPETITIVE!!!  Why show electronics when in every financial report electronic sales continue to DECLINE---move on from it QVC---MOVE ON!!!

So why am I still here---because there a FEW, very FEW QVC vendors  I still like their products and their quality is still there.......

And NO I don't want QVC to go back to the 1990's....just offer some VARIETY and UNIQUENESS that I don't see everywhere in my local stores......QVC not only has QVC items online, but Zulily too....so a diversity of products should be within the Q's reach instead of showing the same ole same ole stuff and becoming less of a retail option for so many customers. ......And QVC's attempts to take the company to the 21st Century has been laughable---SEND THE TREND, and paid millions for OODLES, to name a few---they've have been disasters which have been discontinued ---QVC has NO VISION except when it comes to REPETITION!!! ---which they seem overly fond of!!!

Now @SahmIam  don't be discouraged by the QVC Cheerleaders, anytime anyone gives a suggestion or feedback on QVC they come out of the woodwork (like sugar ants) to defend the All Mighty QVC---RAH RAH RAH!!!  So don't let them get you down, there are MANY MANY customers that feel the way you and I do!!!  You make some EXCELLENT points and have provided some EXCELLENT feedback!!!  Take Care!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@SavvyChic wrote:

I wish the hosts were calmer, too. Alberti was on with Doris Dalton and they were both excited interrupting each other (mostly Doris repeating herself) and rushing & speed talking. I could understand them, but It was on late at night and not relaxing at all, which I'd prefer to wind down with. I mss Lisa Mason's style.

I think many of us do. Watching has become a chore, not a pleasurable, relaxing shopping experience. Again, shopping should be fun, not akin to being in a mosh pit... The frenzied approach employed by most hosts these days is an immediate turn-off. It's like they're frantic. Personally, I don't enjoy frantic.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I think the target audience has changed to a younger crowd. The clothing is not attractive (to me) and a little pricey.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Chrystaltree2 wrote:

Qvc hasn't lost  it's focus....lol  Silliest thing I heard all day.  Qvc is a business a huge multinational business and their focus has always been to make a money.  That's why they exist.  I think one problem for people who pine for the Qvc of 1990 is that you have aged and you are now at that "everything was better in the 90's" stage of your lives.  You got stuck in a time warp....and you can't get ....lol   Like it or not, nothing stays the same forever.  It's true, Qvc doesn't offer the variety it once did.  They have limited their product lines to things that sell well.  But let's be realistic here a trip to Qvc.com offers more products in more catgeories by  more companies than a trip to any mall, any 50 malls.  Only Amazon beats Qvc.com in that respect.  And that's another factor, there are scores of items that NEVER make it to Qvc tv.  If you limit your Qvc experience to tv,  you are only seeing a small percentage of products.  I watch about 2-3 hours a week of Qvc tv.  If that.  Yet I shop for almost everything here, I have at least 3 packages a week  selivered to my house.  Just about all my clothing and shoes and handbags come from Qvc.  But not from what I see on Qvc tv,  I shop .com.  That's why I'm here now.  I couldn't sleep, I need a top for an upcoming party.  I'm shopping for one.  It would be pretty silly for me to park myelf in front of a tv and HOPE to see something cute that  is right for the occasion...lol   Why limit myself to a handful of items when the entire Qvc inventory is at my fingetips.  Qvc'c focus has not changed.  The problem is that many of you have NOT changed.  When it comes to the shopping experience, you are mentally living in 1995.  Of course you can't find what you are looking for....lol

Annnnddd it's another one who wants to point the finger at the (seemingly increasing) number of folks who no longer find QVC holds much appeal, rather than realize that simply because the current status quo might be working for her, it isn't working for others... Then, of course, there's the rather arrogant assigning of 'blame', you know, that it must then be our fault... Uh uh... I'm not mentally living in 1995 and I'm not stuck in a time warp... But I know what I enjoy and I don't enjoy seeing the same handful of brands presented in an endless, boring rotation. I don't enjoy frenetic, too-intense, hosts running around ill-designed sets like a proverbial whirling dervish and so I don't often watch anymore. I also don't enjoy using a website that's not particularly well designed or user friendly and seems to be consistently fraught with glitches... Moreover, while the website might well offer more variety than does the fully moribund programming, it too has significantly scaled back customer options. Then there's the cost factor... Then there's the shipping factor... No, QVC hasn't lost it's profit-driven focus, nor could they be expected to. They have, however, fully adopted what many of us clearly feel is a too-limited, misguided formula for getting there. A quality operation stands the test of time and they implement changes that enhance the customer experience, so this isn't about anyone being wedded to the past. Were changes implemented perceived as being positive ones, changes for the better, as it were, I'd surmise there wouldn't be such a range of disheartened customers posting across the many threads and forums. It's also worth noting that if shopping for almost everything here is meeting one's needs, that's great, but doing so not only narrows down ones options, it also offers one no basis for comparison as to how other retail entities have adapted to changing times... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@debic wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

Ever notice how KYToby  posts once - usually some bomb to stir things up - and then never comes back to respond to the responses?  I have.  That's the sign of a ..... oh, I won't say it but it starts with a 't."   I'll just say if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably ..... "

Not even being close to a troll.  Over enthusiastic maybe.   So you're ok if you come back and repeat the same thing over and over?      That's called being redundant, and yes I know I'm guilty.   

Amen!! and let's not forget bossy. 

Honored Contributor

@Melania wrote:

@debic wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

Ever notice how KYToby  posts once - usually some bomb to stir things up - and then never comes back to respond to the responses?  I have.  That's the sign of a ..... oh, I won't say it but it starts with a 't."   I'll just say if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably ..... "

Not even being close to a troll.  Over enthusiastic maybe.   So you're ok if you come back and repeat the same thing over and over?      That's called being redundant, and yes I know I'm guilty.   

Amen!! and let's not forget bossy. 

Valued Contributor

QVC is not the QVC of old, by any means.   Instead of showing live interesting items that caused me to so enjoy watching them, like many varied good quality costume jewelry vendors, i.e. Lee Sands, etc., much more variety when it comes to designer fashions at a good value, as you mentioned beautiful affordable diamonique designs, great sterling silver, many handbag vendors with a variety of pricing, etc., they now have all these gardening days, cooking days and shows, over and over vacuum cleaners, expensive cosmetic tools, etc.  Watching QVC is now super boring and no fun.  All I can figure is they are getting great price concessions from these few vendors and those that have gone by the wayside wanted a better share.  I can't help but think QVC's profits are dropping and they are desparate, thus parading out same old same old vendors and products they must be making a big chunck of change from few sales.  And as far as the poster who said they sell zillions of stuff online, true, but the beauty of QVC and the reason they had a leg up on competitors IMO was I could see the product presented, dissected, talked about, etc.  I can go to zillions of online retailers if I don't want to see the actual item presented.  After 20 plus years of thoroughly enjoying the QVC experience on TV, not so much any more.  They no longer stand out as quality, value and convenience.

So I agree with all those who said too much of the same thing on over and over again.  I also agree that many of the hosts are too frenetic, hard to watch.  I tune in only for shows/products I like, like Isaac Mizrahi, although even he's on too much.  And I'm not a Shawn Killinger fan.  Also I agree a lot of things on QVC are avaialble at other places and at comparable prices -- and no shipping.