Honored Contributor

Re: Spelling & Grammatical Errors

One of the side effects of our fast computer, instant communication life is the loss of spelling and punctuation... and coming from a family of writers, publishers and technical editors, this has been a big disappointment.  IF THE PUBLIC CARED, that would be one thing, but unfortunately, the majority just doesn't.  The dependence on spell check is astonishing when spell check is often totally wrong ......

AND, there are a lot of people out there that have spelling issues and spell phonetically no matter what they do.  It's a brain hick-up.  

My oldest son has an IQ in the 160's, was formally asked to be in MENSA and teaches Physics to MIT students via Skype as a Tutor  (upwards of Physics 22).... and yet he will spell something correctly only half the time.  As a family, we've learned a lot from this young man over the years.  First, lighten up.  Second, people (or a business) are not necessarily incompetant or stupid just because they have spelling and/or grammatical problems....

And as you can see.... typing errors can also be VERY easily made.... and in the rush to post most people just don't see them....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

LOL.... me included~!!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@Ibby114Spellcheck doesn't catch errors of word choice;-that process still requires human intervention.

@Carol08Maybe people who allow others to use their posting access should also proofread what's written and not blame the errors on someone else.  Step up and swallow it.

Exactly my point!

Respected Contributor

We stopped getting newspapers because I was always finding spelling or grammar errors.  Aren't there proof readers anymore? 

There are instances when it's obvious that the error is a typo, however, there are lots of non-typo errors.  I was blessed with a mother and teachers who demanded correct grammar when speaking and writing. 

Respected Contributor

The old "niece did my homework" line.

Well my dog read this and gave it two paws down.Man LOL

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

We stopped getting newspapers because I was always finding spelling or grammar errors.  Aren't there proof readers anymore? 

There are instances when it's obvious that the error is a typo, however, there are lots of non-typo errors.  I was blessed with a mother and teachers who demanded correct grammar when speaking and writing. 

Me too. It seems to me that with so many places in the world using wrong spelling so that they will have a unique logo or name (Babies R Us; Toys R Us, etc.), it's a wonder anyone spells correctly. 

For some of us, it just comes naturally to be picky about spelling and grammar, because we were raised that way and had wonderful teachers who instilled it in us at a very young age. We can spot a misspelling because it just jumps out at us; we don't even have to try to find them. 

(Hope you don't find any misspellings in this post!) Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Nobody cares anymore.  Our generation (65+) is the last generation that will place any importance on this issue.  It will become a lost art, if it isn't already.

One of my unofficial tasks at the CPA firm that I worked for was to proofread what college-educated and intelligent professionals wrote.  Their spelling, grammar, and sentence structure was atrocious.  I was told after I retired (after 24 years) that there was no one there who was capable of taking over that task, and the level of excellence in written reports that went out of the firm had suffered tremendously.

Again, it had nothing to do with intelligence, it was just something that held no importance to them.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986