Honored Contributor

Sometimes Comic Sans MS shows blank

[ Edited ]

Does anyone else ever have trouble reading the comic sans serif script in replies?  

(This is comic sans serif font -- and as a matter of fact, the name of the font is not even visible for me any longer on the drop-down font option menu.)

Even in my own replies when I've posted using that font, going back later the post looked blank.  Now I no longer use that font, even though it's always been a favorite.

I could get around it by hitting reply to a blank post, then quote, then going to HTML, then back to Rich Text, but that's totally annoying unless I really, really want to see what someone has posted.

Maybe it's just my own home system?  I use Chrome.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Sometimes comic sans serif shows blank

@GingerPeach    In your post, the sample of the "comic" looked like "light italic" to me.   di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

Does anyone else ever have trouble reading the comic sans serif script in replies?  

(This is comic sans serif font -- and as a matter of fact, the name of the font is not even visible for me any longer on the drop-down font option menu.)

Even in my own replies when I've posted using that font, going back later the post looked blank.  Now I no longer use that font, even though it's always been a favorite.

I could get around it by hitting reply to a blank post, then quote, then going to HTML, then back to Rich Text, but that's totally annoying unless I really, really want to see what someone has posted.

Your above post looks fine to me.  I'm typing this in Comic Sans Serif.  

Honored Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Sunshine Kate:   Yours looks like "letter Gothic".   (I'm referencing IBM typewriter faces). di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Re: Sometimes Comic Sans MS shows blank

[ Edited ]

The fonts I'm pulling down are the ones offered by the menu that says "Font Family" in the list of menu options in each post.

For example, this is Lucida Sans Unicode.

This is Comic Sans MS (I meant MS previously, not Serif, even though MS has no serifs either).

This is Book Antigua.

There is no "Light Italic" or "Letter Gothic" in the font menu options offered on this site.  

Honored Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Sunshine Kate

Your words didn't show up in Comic Sans MS.  They are in the basic font QVC provides, the same as this sentence I just typed.

Comic Sans MS looks like this.  If you want the font to change, you'll need to either block and copy the selection and click on the desired font, or else click on the font selection before beginning to type.  Sorry if this is redundant, but Comic lettering has a different look as shown in this paragraph I just typed.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach, I think what we're seeing is the difference in the way devices and browsers interpret and display these font choices.  Your text in Comic Sans MS, for example, appears as it should when I view it on my Mac (OS X 10.11.3) with Firefox (v. 44.0)  or Chrome (v. 48.0.2564.97) or Safari (v. 9.0.3).

However, on my iPad 3 and iPhone 5 (iOS v. 9.2.1), with the standard Safari browser, your Comic Sans MS text appears almost exactly the same as the rest of your post (just a wee bit larger).  I've noticed my iPad and iPhone don't recognize several of the customized font families and seem to covert them all to a default font (not sure which ones, I haven't tried to work that out).  However, your Comic Sans MS text doesn't vanish or appear as a blank post or line.

I do have Comic Sans MS as a choice listed in "Font Family" on all these devices and browsers.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just as a test:  This is the normal font I use for my posts.

(I do change the size to 3, and I change the color, and I'm posting these with Firefox v. 44 on my Mac 10.11.3.)

This is size 3 with color, using the Comic Sans MS font.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Hi @dooBdoo

I'm not saying I can't tell the difference between fonts.

My point, in the original post, is that I often cannot see the comic font at all.  If someone uses that font in a post, the post appears blank to me -- or at least it does periodically.

That is why I added the line about using Chrome and that perhaps it was individual to how Chrome sees the fonts.  It does not happen all the time, but it does happen a lot, even in my own posts when I use the "comic" font.

That's why I switched quite some time ago to the Lucida font since apparently Chrome doesn't have any problems in interpreting Lucida and it's visible to me.

Honored Contributor

Homegirl wrote:

Hi @dooBdoo

I'm not saying I can't tell the difference between fonts.

My point, in the original post, is that I often cannot see the comic font at all.  If someone uses that font in a post, the post appears blank to me -- or at least it does periodically.

That is why I added the line about using Chrome and that perhaps it was individual to how Chrome sees the fonts.  It does not happen all the time, but it does happen a lot, even in my own posts when I use the "comic" font.

That's why I switched quite some time ago to the Lucida font since apparently Chrome doesn't have any problems in interpreting Lucida and it's visible to me.

Hi, @GingerPeach!  I understood your posts.  I just didn't explain myself well.

It does seem to be the way various devices, browsers, (and perhaps software versions or browser addons/extensions) cause our text to be displayed.

Regarding Chrome, I've noticed on my Mac when I use Chrome it doesn't display Apple emojis properly (sometimes, not always).  It completely removes it from thread titles, and sometimes displays other odd, random characters when it's used within the body of a post.  So there might be more of a problem with that particular browser.  Not sure, though.