Trusted Contributor

So much for reviews

[ Edited ]

I was interested in purchasing K48640, a Cuisinart Shredder & Spiralizer. It is on clearance. I checked reviews on the Q's website as well as at amazon and bedbathandbeyond. What do you know, the same exact wording of several of the reviews.  Here are a few excerpts:

BBB
★★★★★ 
★★★★★ 5 out of 5 stars.	· a month ago  
Creative cooking 
I am very happy that I bought this. It is easy to use and is friendly user. 

★★★★★ 
★★★★★ 5 out of 5 stars.	· 3 months ago  
Works Great 
We bought this to use with our Keto Diet, it’s amazing. Love how it does the 
work for you. We had tried a hand turn spiralizer and it just didn’t work. So 
please with this electric one. 

★★★★★ 
★★★★★ 2 out of 5 stars.	· a day ago  
Christmas gift 
This was a Christmas gift from my family. I like the idea however recipes are 
few. The angled tube arrived chipped. I wanted electric because of the RA in my 
hands and this is electric good point. So far we have been unable to get 
anything to spiral. we think we know which cone to use but we end up with 
chopped up veggies. limited explanations. 

QVC: This was a Christmas gift from my family. I like the idea however recipes are few. The angled tube arrived chipped. I wanted electric because of the RA in my hands and this is electric good point. So far we have been unable to get anything to spiral. we think we know which cone to use but we end up with chopped up veggies. limited explanations. I am very happy that I bought this. It is easy to use and is friendly user. We bought this to use with our Keto Diet, it’s amazing. Love how it does the work for you. We had tried a hand turn spiralizer and it just didn’t work. So please with this electric one.
So beware ===reviews are meaningless. That said, however, I decided not to buy this
item since most people said it had no power and was worthless.

Honored Contributor

More than slightly suspicious, aren't they?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I'm not shocked - I've found the same to be true on same websites you listed.  I was shopping for ?  which I could remember; but in the appliance line.  Same same words - I assume the manufacturer picks up positive feedback and distributes it out to their retail websites..  I usually back way from those products. (however, don't recall QVC having the same reviews - Amazon = yes and others)

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee,

Wow, I wouldn't have expected that.Very observant of you to notice these!

Though I have seen the same reviews on other things like under yelp, google etc.

It would be okay to me but nice if there was a disclaimer of sorts stating that reviews could be pulled from various places.

A legitimate review is still good to me (if it is authentic), no matter what site it comes from.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

Re: So much for reviews

[ Edited ]

Did you look at notifications that QVC included on some of the written reviews? 

"Written by a customer while visiting cuisinart.com " 

I noticed that when I looked at the reviews on Monday when Stacey presented it. 

Honored Contributor

There is nothing wrong with posting the same review on several sites. I've done it often. I usually include that fact.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Re: So much for reviews

[ Edited ]

@geegerbee@on the bay@Kachina624@KentuckyWoman@suzyQ3@fthunt

Good afternoon, everyone!😊  I think it helps to remember that QVC doesn’t manage their product reviews.  

A company called “Bazaarvoice” has been managing QVC’s reviews for many years.

Bazaarvoice represents “thousands of brands and retailers and millions of shoppers worldwide” (6,000 brands and retail sites)  according to their website.

They post the same review on more than one website, so the company is doing this rather than the individual reviewer doing it.

The reviews often will include a notice such as “This review was collected as part of a promotion" or “Written by a customer while visiting philosophy.com” — that sort of thing.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~

In addition, they have “incentivized reviews.”   This is from their site:

"...Authenticity is a core value at Bazaarvoice. This means indicating, or badging, user generated content (UGC) where the author has been offered an incentive.

FTC regulations concerning consumer-generated content, as well as the Bazaarvoice Authenticity Policy, require that reviews display a notification (either as a graphic badge or plain text) any time the consumer has received or been offered material compensation for writing their review.

This includes, but is not limited to, any of the following being provided to the consumer in exchange for writing a review:

• Entry into a sweepstakes
  • Coupons or Discounts
  • Loyalty Reward Points
  • Free products, either before as in a Sampling program or after, as a Thank You gift... "

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

This has been a thing for years. People apparently want everyone to know if they love or hate something. No big deal IMO. 

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

@KentuckyWoman, so does this mean that reviews are being pulled from other sites by the company that manages QVC's reviews,  and posted on QVC.com in the reviews?  

If I am going to post my review about an item, I post it to the website where I bought the item.  I see no reason to go to multiple websites that sell the item and keep posting my review.  For one thing, it may not be 100% exactly the same item on both sites because oftentimes items are made specifically for the store/site from which the item is purchased.   

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

@KentuckyWoman, so does this mean that reviews are being pulled from other sites by the company that manages QVC's reviews,  and posted on QVC.com in the reviews?  

If I am going to post my review about an item, I post it to the website where I bought the item.  I see no reason to go to multiple websites that sell the item and keep posting my review.  For one thing, it may not be 100% exactly the same item on both sites because oftentimes items are made specifically for the store/site from which the item is purchased.   

@Lipstickdiva, I seriously doubt that QVC does this, but I have seen it done by relatively small sites.

As I posted earlier, I have cross-posted reviews and have always indicated that I am doing so. I've never done it for a product that might different on another site. I do like the ability to see, for example, a review of a fragrance both on Amazon and on fragrantica as well as sharing mine on both.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland