Honored Contributor

Re: So Tired of Bogus "Reviews" - Q are you listening?

If you can tell there are bogus reviews, just ignore them.    As I read them, it's easy to identify the ones that talk about the product in factual terms.  Then ignore the rest.  

Respected Contributor

Posted this before: cannot get a negative review posted.

Tried to post last week about a BruceM. Handbag to no avail regardless of the # of stars as a test.  I'm through with their review system: I just stop buying from now on.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

If you can tell there are bogus reviews, just ignore them.    As I read them, it's easy to identify the ones that talk about the product in factual terms.  Then ignore the rest.  

Of course I ignore them.  That's not the point.  They are blatantly unfair to the vendor and affect the overall rating a product gets.  If reviews like that are published, it makes the whole review system meaningless.

QVC claims that you have to have actually purchased the item and used it.  Clearly, they don't think the integrity of their review system is very important.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am diligent about posting my reviews on every item I purchase from QVC.  I rely on those reviews as well as forum information to form opinions on purchasing decisions.  I cannot always tell if the poster actually owns the item.  If there are enough reviews you generally get a concensus for the product. I have saved a lot of money as well as bother by reading the reviews as well as these forums.  I just wish everyone would post their opinions  and, when relative, sizing information of products they have actually purchased.  i remember when QVC did not offer the ability to express an opinion.  I used to send a lot more products back than I do now.  I like that they ask the question "Whether I have purchased the product" now. I also like that QVC posts the negative reviews. I always have had my negative reviews posted .  I just wish more people would review products.

Respected Contributor

I do think that some people get confused about their own role and write reviews as if they were getting paid to sell the items ... or who knows ... maybe they are. Clearly the system in place allows for quite a bit of dishonesty. Considering all those factors, I find it very hard to use reviews. They just aren't helpful when they are so far off from each other. For example, I read reviews for a Mizrahi sweater, that I personally own and found that it ran very slightly smaller than usual, but the description did say that it was slightly fited. Someone else said it ran large for an Isaac sweater. This happens all the time. What good is it at that point. Those two opinions basically cancel each other out. Unless quality control is so bad that there are batches of items that are totally off the mark regularly, and that may be the case, these very disparate reviews are really useless. It is beatiful vs. it is cheap, runs small/runs large, feels good/feels horrible, comfortable/ uncomfortable, so on. Granted different people, different backgrounds but sizing should be universal and if not, then they really shouldn't sell clothing on shopping channels.

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

Venezia said?  Of course I ignore them.  That's not the point.  They are blatantly unfair to the vendor and affect the overall rating a product gets.  If reviews like that are published, it makes the whole review system meaningless.

QVC claims that you have to have actually purchased the item and used it.  Clearly, they don't think the integrity of their review system is very important.

I understand what you said.  I just don't get why it's a problem.  These reviews do not make anything meaningless.  You just screen them as you read them and the problem is solved.  You can't control other people and their reviews and I don't think Q should be expected to babysit them either.   Just recognize that everyone is different, has different ways of writing/expressing themselves, and everyone else feels their own opinion is important.  You don't have to agree or like their input, that's just fine.   Then move on.   

Esteemed Contributor

No, I don't believe they are listening.  Possibly, they listened and they think it's not a priority.  This topic has been addressed at various times over the past two years on this forum, yet there have been no changes for the better.  

Honored Contributor

@Venezia  I hear you.....some of these reviews are just ridiculous....I saw one where the review was nothing but criticism for the vendor because the person felt that the company did not contribute enough to women's charities.  No review of any product, so I reported it as inappropriate since it was a review of the company and NOT the actual product, but the review is still there and this was several months ago that I reported it.  Seriously, why do they even bother to supposedly check the reviews before they get posted...I don't think they even bother to read them and just post them.

I do like to read the reviews before I make a purchase and accurate reviews help immensley.  I always provide fit info if shoes or clothing (but lately can't trust QVC for either category because both the reviews and sometime the size info online is not always accurate and I do not like the fact if I have to return it I don't get my original shipping returned unless it's an actual product defect or QVC error).  I find getting feedback from the Forums is more helpful than the reviews these days. 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

Even reviews that a moderating systwm would leave in place are basically useless.  I've quit on reviews.  This week was the final straw-  5 reviews for a sweater and those 5 reviewers had 3 different ideas about the sizing of that sweater -- and this for a sweater from what poster here consider the best line QVC ever sells.

QVC isn't even alone in this kind of thing -- Amazon does verify purchase apparently, but just this week I wanted to read the reviews on a book I'd just finished reading.  The best positive review -  I swear the writer never read past the first chapter.  Totally worthless.

I'll be just fine -  for most the years of my life, my own judgement has served me well.  Hopefully, that will continue for another decade or two.

@millieshops   Hi Millieshops Be careful of Amazon---things aren't always on the up and up there either.  I wrote a negative review because the product brand pictured and described was not the item I received from the vendor---I got a CHEAP knock-off instead, and Amazon deleted my review, so ! wrote to Amazon advising them of the bait and switch vendor tactic and never got a reply. 

And one book review I read was not about the book, but criticism's of the author's life style........some review! 

And my credit card was compromised on something purchased from Amazon too---I don't shop there any more! I think they've gotten too big for their britches, and are expanding into the technology field and ignoring their retail business....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@SHIRAZ wrote:

I've also read a lot of 5-star positive reviews where the customer has just ordered and does not have the item yet, but knows it's going to be perfect.  Amounts to nothing more than another sales pitch ('cause the Q doesn't do a good enough job in that area - LOL!)  Sometimes they even reiterate the host's pitch - going to wear it to walk the dog, etc.  Infuriating!

This makes me sad.  A person who cannot voice her own opinion, yet still wants to participate, so she just repeats what others have said.   How sad to be this person.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York