Honored Contributor

Re: So Tired of Bogus "Reviews" - Q are you listening?

@CalminHeart wrote:
@CalminHeart wrote:

If you can tell there are bogus reviews, just ignore them.    As I read them, it's easy to identify the ones that talk about the product in factual terms.  Then ignore the rest.  

Venezia said?  Of course I ignore them.  That's not the point.  They are blatantly unfair to the vendor and affect the overall rating a product gets.  If reviews like that are published, it makes the whole review system meaningless.

QVC claims that you have to have actually purchased the item and used it.  Clearly, they don't think the integrity of their review system is very important.

I understand what you said.  I just don't get why it's a problem.  These reviews do not make anything meaningless.  You just screen them as you read them and the problem is solved.  You can't control other people and their reviews and I don't think Q should be expected to babysit them either.   Just recognize that everyone is different, has different ways of writing/expressing themselves, and everyone else feels their own opinion is important.  You don't have to agree or like their input, that's just fine.   Then move on.   

But the Q does claim to  "babysit" them by citing rules that apply.  Then they just don't enforce those rules consistently.

As someone has pointed out, they have enough moderators monitoring these boards.  They should as least assign as much importance to their review system.  Comments on here don't affect a vendor's ratings.  The review system does.

So you and I can agree to disagree and just move on.

Honored Contributor

@skuggles wrote:

I do think that some people get confused about their own role and write reviews as if they were getting paid to sell the items ... or who knows ... maybe they are. Clearly the system in place allows for quite a bit of dishonesty. Considering all those factors, I find it very hard to use reviews. They just aren't helpful when they are so far off from each other. For example, I read reviews for a Mizrahi sweater, that I personally own and found that it ran very slightly smaller than usual, but the description did say that it was slightly fited. Someone else said it ran large for an Isaac sweater. This happens all the time. What good is it at that point. Those two opinions basically cancel each other out. Unless quality control is so bad that there are batches of items that are totally off the mark regularly, and that may be the case, these very disparate reviews are really useless. It is beatiful vs. it is cheap, runs small/runs large, feels good/feels horrible, comfortable/ uncomfortable, so on. Granted different people, different backgrounds but sizing should be universal and if not, then they really shouldn't sell clothing on shopping channels.

@skuggles  Hi SKUGGLES ---But the problems with QVC's clothing lately is it's inconsistency in sizing and quality even within the same brand.  And of course body type, height, and weight could cause a difference in the review of the fit.  For example, I am petite, size medium and am a pear shaped, but the garment may fit an XS or 3X that is an Apple or Straight Body Type differently than me.  To get accurate sizing you would really have to give more info than just "how did it fit---true to size, larger, or smaller" which is asked in the sizing.  Reviewers can include this info on what they write in the review, but perhaps they think "it's none of anyone's business" or "too personal" so they won't put it out there....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I don't think this is a thing that can be rectified personally.

Even verified buyers on Amazon have a wide range of opinions, so why bother?  I often wonder if we bought the same thing by some reviews.

I don't take any stock in reviews, even tho I do write them, I mostly look at how many people took the time to actually review, and the ratio of good to bad.

Any place you can leave a review is subject to a bogus review.  Could be friends, family, or who knows.   Many are not worth the paper they're printed on, literally.  Even mine.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

@SHIRAZ wrote:

I've also read a lot of 5-star positive reviews where the customer has just ordered and does not have the item yet, but knows it's going to be perfect.  Amounts to nothing more than another sales pitch ('cause the Q doesn't do a good enough job in that area - LOL!)  Sometimes they even reiterate the host's pitch - going to wear it to walk the dog, etc.  Infuriating!

This makes me sad.  A person who cannot voice her own opinion, yet still wants to participate, so she just repeats what others have said.   How sad to be this person.

@SHIRAZ @Peaches McPhee  Which makes me wonder if the vendor (even though they are not supposed to) or someone hired by the vendor, or a relative of the vendor posted some of these reviews which sounds exactly like the sales pitch.....Things that make you go hmmmmmm!!!!  I don't trust those reviews at all! Woman Tongue

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@SpurtThanks - I do use Amazon, but not a whole lot because I won't order anything through them that doesn't come directly from Amazon.  They're bad enough, but I so dislike how they treat their vendors that I see no reason to trust that whole set-up.

While I'm still able and while brick and mortar still exists, I much prefer to shop locally.  Even if I have to pay a bit more, I'm at the point in my life that I'd rather have fewer things anyway but get what I want.

As for reviews everywhere -  I take them with the proverbwhistles or words!ial grain of salt, prewtty much like I take all the pronouncements from the political stages.  Buyers beware whether you're buying

Valued Contributor

When reading reviews, I often sort by rating, lowest to highest to see what is potentially wrong with an item.  If I find a number of people complaining about the same thing - a faulty zipper, stones falling out of a ring, etc., then I figure that there probably is a defect with the product, and I tend not to take a chance on it.  I gloss over the ones that are very subjective - color, etc.  I read fit comments looking for concensus - occasionally, everyone does agree that something ran way too big.  When there isn't concensus, I look for the specifics as to where was it too big or too small.

I have to add that I get the biggest kick out of reading reviews for Dennis Basso coats, because half of the people always complain that the sleeves are way too long, and half of the people complain that the sleeves are way too short! Smiley LOL

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Honored Contributor

I do the same as @SHIRAZ as to sorting.

Then I look for issues and whether those issues are important to me.  For example, if someone says the garment is too big, I might even prefer that since I don't like tight clothing.  Or a sleeve is said to be too long.  For me, that's a plus.  

I also look at them judiciously to look for non-item attributes, some of which were mentioned here like not liking the vendor's politics, etc.

But sometimes we would not know whether, in a system that is S, M, & L, whether the purchaser is on the smaller end of M or the larger (either a 10 or a 12).  So naturally, the fit of a medium would be different on a 10 or a 12.  Fit may also depend on the inconsistency of how the garments are measured, and also how they're sewn.  

Someone once wrote about how in cutting, a whole pile of one segment of a shirt might be cut at once.  This might mean that the top piece would end up with different measurements than the bottom piece.

There are too many factors in the sizing to blame it completely on the reviewers, even though we know reviewers are far from being expert at explaining their purchases.

I agree QVC should police their reviews much, much better and especially NOT allow reviews from those who have not purchased and preferably not even from those unless they've had an item for a while.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@culebra wrote:

I am diligent about posting my reviews on every item I purchase from QVC.  I rely on those reviews as well as forum information to form opinions on purchasing decisions.  I cannot always tell if the poster actually owns the item.  If there are enough reviews you generally get a concensus for the product. I have saved a lot of money as well as bother by reading the reviews as well as these forums.  I just wish everyone would post their opinions  and, when relative, sizing information of products they have actually purchased.  i remember when QVC did not offer the ability to express an opinion.  I used to send a lot more products back than I do now.  I like that they ask the question "Whether I have purchased the product" now. I also like that QVC posts the negative reviews. I always have had my negative reviews posted .  I just wish more people would review products.

I don't understand why in earth QVC doesn't do what their competitor does. It's so logical. They don't ask you IF you purchased the item and give you a Yes or No choice. You are signed in on the site and they don't "ask" you anything - they KNOW whether you have or have not purchased the item from them, and you *cannot* review something you have not purchased from them. Not only that, since I went to review an item that I received a day or two early in the mail, it wouldn't let me post the review "yet" because they didn't think I'd had time to receive it, open the package and use it.  THAT's the way reviews should be allowed on QVC.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@culebra wrote:

I am diligent about posting my reviews on every item I purchase from QVC.  I rely on those reviews as well as forum information to form opinions on purchasing decisions.  I cannot always tell if the poster actually owns the item.  If there are enough reviews you generally get a concensus for the product. I have saved a lot of money as well as bother by reading the reviews as well as these forums.  I just wish everyone would post their opinions  and, when relative, sizing information of products they have actually purchased.  i remember when QVC did not offer the ability to express an opinion.  I used to send a lot more products back than I do now.  I like that they ask the question "Whether I have purchased the product" now. I also like that QVC posts the negative reviews. I always have had my negative reviews posted .  I just wish more people would review products.

I don't understand why in earth QVC doesn't do what their competitor does. It's so logical. They don't ask you IF you purchased the item and give you a Yes or No choice. You are signed in on the site and they don't "ask" you anything - they KNOW whether you have or have not purchased the item from them, and you *cannot* review something you have not purchased from them. Not only that, since I went to review an item that I received a day or two early in the mail, it wouldn't let me post the review "yet" because they didn't think I'd had time to receive it, open the package and use it.  THAT's the way reviews should be allowed on QVC.

I don't disagree but perhaps they do a great deal of business from people buying things as a gift? Those users would be precluded from leaving a review. Just a thought. 

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Esteemed Contributor

Talbots  review system asks you to state whether you are reviewing a petite, misses or woman's size and asks you to identify from one of 4 body types when reviewing. Most helpful.