Valued Contributor

Had the Q on yesterday while I was making out my grocery list at the local grocery store which happened to be for those living in the northeast SHAWS. Q was selling 2 Smithfield hams 3-4 lbs each for 70.00.  I bought a 10lb Smithfield spiral ham for 9.00. I believe in capitalism but this is outrageous.

Valued Contributor

@MrSour They try to convince you to buy by telling you the price per serving. But, with the meats, like beef what you would be charged in a restaurant would include the food being cooked and with sides. All of the beef is raw meat so you would have to cook it and then make your own sides. I have figures our the price per pound on their food items and the least expensive has been $10.00 a pound.

Now, that they have gotten Rastelli meats to add to the Kansas City brand, the prices have really gone up.

They sell sides, but I wouldn't pay $10.00 a pound for mac & cheese. I can make it at home for less. It may not have as many types of cheese, or be as creamy, but it will do. 

Check the weight, and then the price. You will find it's the convience of having the food item in your freezer, not the cost that is the value. If you don't mind paying for the idea that it's in your freezer and you don't have to go get it, then it's a deal. But, if you are watching your budget, the deal is at your local store. 

Many of the food items look good, but when I figure out the cost per pound, I'm on my way out to the store. Keep your calculator close by when you watch.

Honored Contributor

A few stores in my area sell this brand too. I buy their thick sliced bacon, very tasty. And yes the Smithfield hams are here too. I'd buy any Smithfield product local ie HERE and not from there (the Q).

Valued Contributor

Very smart

Respected Contributor

Our local BJ’s sells Smithfield spiral sliced hams. I didn’t notice the price because DH isn’t a big fan of ham, but it’s got to be better than QVC’s price. We’re lucky to have a wide range of supermarkets and other food vendors available nearby. The only food items I buy from QVC are specialty items that aren’t sold locally. 

Esteemed Contributor

Bill to, ship to.  Sometimes it is worth it.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@MrSour wrote:

Had the Q on yesterday while I was making out my grocery list at the local grocery store which happened to be for those living in the northeast SHAWS. Q was selling 2 Smithfield hams 3-4 lbs each for 70.00.  I bought a 10lb Smithfield spiral ham for 9.00. I believe in capitalism but this is outrageous.

You got a very good deal on your 10# ham.

Walmart is selling them for $1.83 per pound on sale at my local store!

You should go back, buy more & stick them in your freezer.

Regular Contributor

Re: Smithfield Hams

[ Edited ]

$9.00 for a 10lb bone-in ham?  Hum, @ $1/lb I would be suspicious of the quality. Just saying...............Hard to find a great ham.

Actually, under a $1.00 a lb. What does a buck get you today? Not much....

Super Contributor

Commercial pork is cheap that's why you can get ham for under a buck a pound. Look at all the factory hog farms in IA, N.Carolina.