Honored Contributor

I have kind of done the opposite.  As an adult I always had very short hair.  Now in my fifties, (well, late fifties really), that look is too severe.  I have been wearing it longer in a short bob that is stacked in the back.  The sides come just about to my chin.  The softer look is working better for me.

I have never been a fan of really long hair that just hangs there on anyone, but I think it looks worse on women of a certain age.  On the other hand, very short hair needs a kicky, chic style so it doesn't look like "convalescent home" hair.  IMO, of course.

Trusted Contributor

I've had short hair for most of my life.  Grew it long a couple times.  I enjoy life too much to have to spend all that time on my hair.  Short hair just makes me happy.  I call it low maintenance hair.  I don't think I'll ever go back to long hair again.

Honored Contributor
I think it depends entirely on the woman....Christy Brinkley still wears her hair long and I don't see anything being dragged down on her!😉
Esteemed Contributor

You look maaaaarrvelous!! Really.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus you described my late MIL. She always had very long hair,she was very tiny..about 5ft. Never over 100 lbs. From the back she looked 16,but what a,shock from the front when she got older.  Very dear animal loving woman,though.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

Women over 60 need a very pretty face and good bone structure to wear very short hair. Most women need more hair as a little help. The women I've seen look great with nice shoulder length hair or chin length hair. A little hair can bring out eyes, cheek bones.

There are over 60's who can wear it below the shoulders, long and straight, but on most I think, it drags them down.

I always notice especially Susan Graver, over 60, who looks very pretty with very long hair. She is one that I don't see short hair would do her any favors. These women I think are the exceptions.

Respected Contributor

I love short hair. I think it is sassy.

But....you should wear your hair the way you like it. Life is short....be happy. :-)

Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

The myth that long hair is more youthful is just that. Sometimes it just drags your face Dow & accentuates any howling that's beginning or problems in the neck area. Shorter hair draws the eye upward.

I've always had short hair mainly to control my curls, but because it fits my tiny frame and small face. Bangs accentuate my eyes and hopefully no one pays attention to other flaws.

The worst thing is being behind a woman w/very long, flowing hair and thinking she's young.  She turns around and shocker... a 60 or over face is staring atyou.

@Sweet_Serenity  Enjoy your short hair. It's cute!! 

I agree and said as much quite a long time ago and got FLAMED so hard I had to bury the burned clothing I was wearing.....  but what you are saying is true!  It's jarring and a contradiction to what you are thinking when viewing from behind.  

I'm not saying to not wear long hair if you're 60 or older, it's just that's not the first thing people think when viewing an older woman from behind with long hair. 

Maybe you just put it in a slightly different way. Sorry you were "flamed"....

Honored Contributor

@Lila4Now wrote:

I've had short hair for most of my life.  Grew it long a couple times.  I enjoy life too much to have to spend all that time on my hair.  Short hair just makes me happy.  I call it low maintenance hair.  I don't think I'll ever go back to long hair again.

ITA. If I'm going to spend much time "doing up" in the mirror, I'd rather do makeup than hair. 

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
I think it depends entirely on the woman....Christy Brinkley still wears her hair long and I don't see anything being dragged down on her!😉

Celebs & stars can wear their hair covering their butt at 70 (look at Cher). They've had their faces "altered" so there's no sagging or drooping.