Respected Contributor

I probably see more women with shorter hair than not, especially if their say over 40. But, long hair just seems to fit some women better. I do not know if it is their facial shape, their body shape, or maybe just their personality. Maybe, we were just all told that we should have shorter hair as we age. Or, maybe we just get sick of our hair and cut it off.

I have had long hair, short hair and everything in between... I keep mine now (several years) anywhere between below the chin length to above the shoulder length... in an angled bob, shorter in the back to longer in the front. Funny, with this style, my hair usually ends up the same length between cuts though, seeing I am not a gotta cut my hair on a schedule type. The back of the head hair grows faster than the sides - this I really did not even realize until this angled cut.

-Texas Hill Country-
Valued Contributor

@CAMOGIRL wrote:

I probably see more women with shorter hair than not, especially if their say over 40. But, long hair just seems to fit some women better. I do not know if it is their facial shape, their body shape, or maybe just their personality. Maybe, we were just all told that we should have shorter hair as we age. Or, maybe we just get sick of our hair and cut it off.

I have had long hair, short hair and everything in between... I keep mine now (several years) anywhere between below the chin length to above the shoulder length... in an angled bob, shorter in the back to longer in the front. Funny, with this style, my hair usually ends up the same length between cuts though, seeing I am not a gotta cut my hair on a schedule type. The back of the head hair grows faster than the sides - this I really did not even realize until this angled cut.

@CAMOGIRL This is true!  At my last haircut, my stylist remarked how much longer my hair had grown in the back than on the sides - I never realized it, either.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
I think it depends entirely on the woman....Christy Brinkley still wears her hair long and I don't see anything being dragged down on her!😉

Christy Brinkley is a beautiful woman but she looks her age in the face.  Her long hair does not make her look younger....Photoshop does.

This picture is the real her with gray roots and Botox eyes.

IMG_0191.JPG

Honored Contributor

I just had my hair cut short again.  Loving it; can wear it spiked or smooth or semi curly or whatever.  I was getting perms every three months with the last one being in March.  Perms were not lasting and were really drying out my hair.  So I decided to go short (back in May) and since then my hair has gotten thicker and looks so much healthier.  I'll continue to have it cut every 4 weeks to maintain its shape and style, even in fall and winter.  No more perms for me. Smiley Happy

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity I can't see the picture just see an x.Did you remove the pic?

Super Contributor

Re: Shorter hair💇

[ Edited ]

@Shanus, that would've been me. I'm over 60, over weight, and not an attractive person. However, I try to keep my hair around my waist.

One, because I still can.

Two, because, in my 30's, I tried it short. My hair does not do short well. I was spending 20 minutes or so trying to iron out the creases it would develop overnight, or, if I washed it in the morning, getting enough body in it so it wouldn't cling to my head.

I do have occasional women stop me and tell me to never cut it!  Only one woman told a mutual friend she was put off by my hair, but she sells wigs, and has a "girl" to help her.

Gravity keeps my hair looking decent enough for me, and at my age, that's all I care about Smiley Happy.  But I do respect your position, and I agree with some of your points. I just don't care haha!

Respected Contributor

@Limbo4now wrote:

I am in the process of letting my gray grow out. Well it turned out white in the front gray on sides and all of back. I have decided to go short this cut in a few weeks. It is below my ears now and not long but no purpose. Oh and the white to me always looks dried out frizzy even though it isn't. Frizzy yes dry no. Hair hate it. You get a nice style and then go in and ask to shape it up get the infamous question how do you want it cut. UGH

My stylist told me that gray hair itself is frizzy.  Color actually HELPS tamp this frizziness down.  Boy, is she right.  The texture of my hair is so nice after it's colored.  She said gray hair is more coarse, so all my attempts at treating what I thought was dryness wasn't going to work.

What did work was color.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

Whenever I see an older woman (age varies) get shorter hair, I always think they look so much younger.  It is such a positive change for almost ALL I have ever seen.  EVEN women who look okay with longer hair.

In my opinion, Christie Brinkley should consider a change.  I read yesterday that she admits to Botox and I think it's called Ultherapy, which is tightening for the skin.  Jane Seymour, oh heavens she should update that hair.

Shorter hair with volume at the crown IS an instant facelift, in my opinion.  Also get rid of center parts as you get older.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

Re: Shorter hair💇

[ Edited ]

@dex wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity I can't see the picture just see an x.Did you remove the pic?

For personal reasons removed.  

Respected Contributor

I had short hair once in my life and I felt so ugly and unfeminine.  I won't ever go back to short hair.  I hear these silly rules that ladies must cut their hair short if they're over 40.  That's ridiculous.  Wear your hair however you want.