Valued Contributor

I knew of a lady a casual acquaintance who was a qvc and hsn excessive shopper. When she passed away a 12 by 12 room was full and stacked to the ceiling of unopened QVC and HSN boxes and packages. Some of these boxes had food in them God only knows how long they were there. Her only relative a sister who did not get along with her was put in charge of cleaning her apartment out did not know what to do with all this stuff. The credit card bill was never paid and the balance was in excess of 25000. The sister tried to get QVC and HSN to take all this stuff back and of course they said not a chance. She finally had a hard sale and sold most of the stuff for pennies on the dollar. I believe all this shopping was done because of lonlness. I only reason I am relating this story is to caution shoppers about their

Esteemed Contributor

I recall reading something very similar or exactly like your excessive shopping situation.  Same........... older lady - died - house full of unopened boxes from the Q.  

Not surprised.

Honored Contributor

My sister in law's sister, when she passed had a basement full of QVC and HSN things.......Most of it she did use though, but some of it was never opened. Her husband didn't know about a lot of her shopping.....My sister in law said that her sister was so miserable in her marriage that she shopped to try to make up for the misery in her life. That is so sad, but I am sure it happens more than we know.

Valued Contributor

I agree with you I'm sure it is quite common. I was just mentioning the other day that the older I get the more conservative I get. I got very lucky when I married my wife as material things don't matter much to her. So we both have the same thoughts.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

How is it that this woman could have a $25000 unpaid bill when we hear from others who get cut off for canceling or returning too much.  I know there are those who hoard from all sorts of sources,, but that number in the bill makes me wonder who she owed that money to. Seems like either the selling companies or the credit card company would cut her off.

Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

How is it that this woman could have a $25000 unpaid bill when we hear from others who get cut off for canceling or returning too much.  I know there are those who hoard from all sorts of sources,, but that number in the bill makes me wonder who she owed that money to. Seems like either the selling companies or the credit card company would cut her off.

You would be surprised at how easy it is to get credit cards. My father died two years ago at age 90. He had declared bankruptcy 3 times in the last 15 years. And yet, when he died he had multiple credit cards, all with limits of about $3K. But all were charged to the hilt. It was a loss to the banks, and I don't excuse my father's actions, but they should never have issued those cards.

Honored Contributor

Many widows have spent their inheritance money of shopping channel stuff.  I have seen pictures on line and also on TV of boxes stacked up to the ceiling.

About eight years ago, I purchased a few Dooney and Burke bags with matching wallets from an e-bay seller who was trying to liquidate the unused shopping channel stuff his mother had purchased.  He lived locally and had thousands of dollars of stuff to get rid of. She liked hand bags and Joan Rivers collectible stuff.