Esteemed Contributor

Shipping costs as a part of doing business

[ Edited ]

With all the discussions about shipping and shipping methods around the holidays, I thought that this article from the Business of Fashion website might shed some light on the topic of shipping costs as part of the cost of a company doing business.

While this article may not apply to QVC directly, you probably have noticed that how and when companies get an item to you, the customer, has changed especially if the item qualifies for "free shipping".

https://www.businessoffashion.com/articles/news-analysis/shippers-online-retailers-seek-way-around-r...

Shippers, Online Retailers Seek Way Around Rising Delivery Costs

Honored Contributor

Re: Shipping costs as a part of doing business

That's a great article.  Ecommerce is a competitive business and one everyone wants a piece of.  Reducing the weight of corrugated boxes will help drive down weight.  Once that's done, where else can you cut weight?  You can put less in the box, then use a smaller box.  We already see that in the grocery store.  Coffee used to be sold as a pound, now it's 13 ounces.

Esteemed Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

That's a great article.  Ecommerce is a competitive business and one everyone wants a piece of.  Reducing the weight of corrugated boxes will help drive down weight.  Once that's done, where else can you cut weight?  You can put less in the box, then use a smaller box.  We already see that in the grocery store.  Coffee used to be sold as a pound, now it's 13 ounces.

I've ordered online a hair and body mist spray that at the most was 2 oz. and in a metal spray can. It came in a big cardboard box about a 12 inch cube. Talk about over-packaging. I got free shipping but why the item had to come in such a big box was ridiculous.

I've bought the same style Nygard top online from three different companies and some have come in boxes and some in plastic mailer bags. Some came with the original Nygard hanger and some did not. I don't really want a hanger and would prefer that it didn't come in the package since it adds to the size and weight of the parcel. Some were shipped to the store via courier so I could get free shipping and some came to my home by mail. I guess you just never know how an item will be packaged but it makes sense that there's cost savings to be had with shipping.

Respected Contributor

Interesting article. I've thought for a long time that the reason much of the jewelry has become lighter in weight was related to shipping. Back in the day a sterling silver bracelet was substantial in weight, not anymore!